Windows version - mounting a .toast file?

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

theodolite
Space Cadet

Windows version - mounting a .toast file?

Post by theodolite »

I've successfully set up SheepShaver (the January 2015 version) on my Windows 7 computer - it starts properly in OS 9 and boots to the desktop. While it's pretty thrilling to do things like "try to remember what the Chooser does" and "change the system font to Sand," I'm trying to load this shareware CD I remember spending many hours with in my youth. However, it's a .toast file and I have no idea how to either mount this so that it appears on the SheepShaver desktop, or otherwise extract the files within. I tried changing the file extension to .bin or .iso and mounting it with Virtual Clone Drive, but that doesn't seem to be working - if I mount it as the E: drive (either as a .toast, a .bin, or a .iso) and navigate to that in SheepShaver, it just appears empty.

Any ideas on how I can either successfully mount or extract the contents of a Roxio .toast file in the Windows build?
NucAr
Tinkerer

Re: Windows version - mounting a .toast file?

Post by NucAr »

What happens when you add the .toast file to SheepShaver's Volumes list?
theodolite
Space Cadet

Post by theodolite »

That worked, thanks! Now if only half the games didn't crash because of missing sound..
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Post by Jorpho »

It strikes me as quite likely that some of those programs will run in Basilisk.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Yes, that cd image contains a lot of old stuff. Furthermore, using a full installation of a Mac OS in either Basilisk or SheepShaver allows you to have sound support. It is a matter of selecting the sound out device in the sound-related control panel.

Best,
Cat_7