Starship Titanic Installation Error

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Bridgo
Space Cadet

Starship Titanic Installation Error

Post by Bridgo »

I am new to all this so I apologise if I have missed something obvious. I have got SheepShaver up and running to the point where I can use MacOS9 to run the Starship Titanic installer. However when I try to install it I get an error saying "The installer is unable to complete the installation. The source extension SoundSprocket Filter could not be written to the destination volume". I get the same error whether or not I tick the "Install Quicktime 3.0" box. I tried it on a different OS installation and I had the same problem but instead of "SoundSprocket Filter" it was something about "MPEG Layer-3...".

I have had a look at http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... =20&t=8525 but there doesn't seem to be anything mentioning the problem I have got and I don't understand it all well enough to know where to start trying to fix it myself...

It would be great to know if there is any way around this! I just remembered this game a few days ago an have been really keen to play it again... Thank you!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Starship Titanic Installation Error

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

The "destination volume" probably is the startup volume with System Folder. The System Folder is where those files will be installed. That volume may be too small for additional installations or it may be locked. How did you set up SheepShaver and how did you install MacOS9? Did you install MacOS9 yourself or did you use a pre-installed system?

(Note that installing Starship Titanic on MacOS9 is not simple if you want sound in the game to work properly. See the topic you linked to.)
Bridgo
Space Cadet

Post by Bridgo »

I think it is pre-installed. One version was a .img file, the other was a .toast file. I just added them to the volumes like suggested in the normal set up instructions. I set up SheepShaver to have 1000mb of space and 512mb ram (and set all the other options as suggested in the guide).

There is a lock at the top left of the finder window when I open macos9 which has the System Folder etc. I don't know if that is helpful but I am not sure how to get rid of it...

By the way thank you for your help - I really appreciate how quickly you always seem to reply!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Bridgo wrote:One version was a .img file, the other was a .toast file.
Which one did you use? Or did you use both? And are they both pre-installed systems?
I just added them to the volumes like suggested in the normal set up instructions.
Those instructions are not intended for pre-installed systems.
I set up SheepShaver to have 1000mb of space
You mean the volume that needs to be created to be volume on which the system needs to be installed. But when you used a pre-installed system, then you did not install any system onto it.
There is a lock at the top left of the finder window when I open macos9 which has the System Folder etc.
You probably locked the file in the OSX Finder as instructed for a system install CD image. But an image file with pre-installed system should not be locked.

I am not sure hoe many volumes you now use, but apparently you start up from an image file with pre-installed system. You could remove the lock in OSX Finder Info for that file but it will probably still be to small to do any more elaborate installations that include installing files in the System Folder.

Start SheepShaver and copy the System Folder to the larger 1000MB volume that you created:

- Inside SheepShaver, copy the System Folder from the OS9 volume to the larger volume.
- When the copy is complete, check whether the System Folder on the larger volume shows its System Folder icon. If it only shows a generic folder icon, open the folder so the Finder can "see" the "System" and "Finder" files inside. That way the folder will obtain its icon. (This is called "blessing" the System Folder.)
- In the volumes list in preferences, remove the original "OS9.img" volume as well as other volumes you may have in the list.
- The larger volume with the copied system is now the only one in the list.
- Shut down SheepShaver and start it again. It will now boot from the copied system.
- You can now add other volumes in the list as needed.
Bridgo
Space Cadet

Post by Bridgo »

Hi, I followed your instructions and it worked perfectly. I am now trying to fix the sound issues that have been mentioned and so I will see how that goes...

Thanks a lot for all your help!