Moving File from SheepShaver Win7 to iMac G3

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

fyndr
Space Cadet

Moving File from SheepShaver Win7 to iMac G3

Post by fyndr »

When my grandfather passed away several years ago, I inherited my grandmother's 1998 iMac G3 (Revision B) running Mac OS 9.1. At the time I wanted to back up important items from the iMac for posterity, and I settled on a 4GB PNY flash drive which plugged into the USB port and worked fine for that purpose. Once this was completed, I put the iMac into storage, where it remained for some time.

Sometime in the intervening period, I set up emulation on my Windows 7 desktop machine and was able to import the files from the PNY flash drive onto a Mac volume (probably using HFVExplorer) which I could then access in SheepShaver under Mac OS 8.1. During this time, I made a modification to an obscure type of file, a custom level or "house" for the game Glider PRO, within the emulator. Probably I made other changes to various files on the volume, but for the purposes of this post let's just focus on this one file.

A few days ago, I retrieved the iMac and confirmed it was working correctly, etcetera. I remembered the modified Glider PRO house file on the SheepShaver Mac volume and wanted to move it over to the original machine. I was able to push the house file onto the same PNY flash drive as before by enabling "My Computer" in the SheepShaver options and then just dragging and dropping, but when I plug the flash drive into the iMac it reports the file as being in PC format, that is to say unrecognizable to the Glider PRO program. The other files originally from the iMac present on the flash drive appear and are accessible without any issues.

Is there a way to transfer a file from SheepShaver in Windows 7 over to an iMac G3 without having issues with file recognition? I assume this has to do with the file encoding rather than the underlying file system (NTFS versus HFS+) since the transfer occurs emulator-side, but maybe I'm wrong on that count.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Moving File from SheepShaver Win7 to iMac G3

Post by adespoton »

You probably want to compress with stuffit before transferring, so you don't lose the resource fork. Data-only files won't have any problems, but Glider Pro files have a resource fork that won't transfer easily over NTFS.
fyndr
Space Cadet

Re: Moving File from SheepShaver Win7 to iMac G3

Post by fyndr »

I checked the Mac volume on the emulator, but I didn't have any compression tools on it (just StuffIt Expander, which was needed for moving files onto the emulator in the first place) and I have very bare Internet access having just moved into a new place, so finding something online would have been tricky. Luckily, I was able to find a copy of DropStuff on an old MacAddict disc which I was able to use on the house file before transferring it via flash drive. Unpacked it on the iMac G3 and was able to play through the changes in Glider PRO without any problems. Probably the resource fork was the issue here as you stated. Thanks for your help!