How can i reset my SheepSaver prefs to begin again from zero

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

figatrix
Student Driver

How can i reset my SheepSaver prefs to begin again from zero

Post by figatrix »

I am having many problems with my current installation..

1.-SheepShaverPrefs does not open when SheepShaver is running.
2.-I can´t create/save a new image disk "New.dsk" with SheepShaverPrefs.
3.-I have deleted all prefs named SheepSaved, but is not enough:

com.yourcompany.SheepShaverPrefs.plist delete
SheepShaver.plist delete
com.yourcompany.SheepShaverPrefs.savedState FOLDER delete

How can i delete "all" and reinstall (from zero) SheepSaver.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: How can i reset my SheepSaver prefs to begin again from

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

- I suppose that you are using SheepShaver on OSX (as you mentioned before in a different topic).

- Which SheepShaver build (date) do you use?

- Normally you do not need the old SheepShaverPrefs application. Preferences can be accessed in SheepShaver itself from the "SheepShaver" menu.

- In the SheepShaver download is the "Delete Prefs File" script that will delete the .sheepshaver_prefs file in you home folder. That file is the only file were configuration settings are stored. The file is hidden in the Finder (note the leading dot in its name).

- Alternatively, you can delete the prefs file using Terminal with the command

Code: Select all

rm ~/.sheepshaver_prefs
figatrix
Student Driver

Post by figatrix »

- I am using yosemite (10.10.3) in a MacPro 3.1

- 2.4 (2014-02-01)

- In my SheepShaver download is not the "Delete Prefs File" script for delete the .sheepshaver_prefs file. I have used terminal with this "text" and all prefs has been deleted.. but i can´t create new disk neither, in volumes is not showed... (?)

I have SheepShaverPrefs application, but when i installed SheepShaver for the first time i could open prefs from the "SheepShaver" menu"... now i can't does it.. is very strange...!!

................. a few minutes ago... i have deleted all my old sheepshaver folders.
- I have download (again) the app and i have installed from zero in a new folder.
---- i can create new disk, i can open prefs (menu), i can ......

I have several CDs (legal copies) 7.6.1 installer (spanish), 8.6 update (spanish) and 9.1 update (spanish). From 7.6.1 i can´t install MacOS. and the other disks are updates... not installer...

On this link i can see two files:MacOS90CD_ES.ZIP and MacOS904CD_ES.ZIP booth in spanish language, but ended in ".toast".

http://macintosh463.rssing.com/chan-253 ... ll_p2.html

What can i do?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

figatrix wrote:I have several CDs (legal copies) 7.6.1 installer (spanish), 8.6 update (spanish) and 9.1 update (spanish). From 7.6.1 i can´t install MacOS. and the other disks are updates... not installer...
As I explained before, if the 7.6.1 CD is a general retail CD (purchased separately, not coming with with a Mac), you can create a disk image from it and use the instructions in italics in the setup manual to install the system.

A 8.6 update will only work on 8.x systems. A 9.1 update will only work on 9.x systems but will not work in SheepShaver anyway (9.0.4 being the latest compatible MacOS).
On this link i can see two files:MacOS90CD_ES.ZIP and MacOS904CD_ES.ZIP booth in spanish language, but ended in ".toast".

The .toast disk images can be used in the same way as .cdr or read/write disk images created by Disk Utility. So you should be able to install MacOS 9.0.4 from Mac OS 9.toast (as expanded from MacOS904CD_ES.ZIP).
figatrix
Student Driver

Post by figatrix »

I think my 7.6.1 is a retail versión (doesn´t comes with my 9600) is like this: http://www.mac-s.co.jp/images/useditem/ ... 2011-0.jpg

I have mounted the CD disk on my desktop and with Disk utilities: create new image disk from this disk: ("read only" format and "no one" encryption) and an archive "dmg" is create: "Mac OS 7.6.1.dmg"

i have selected this image in SheepSaver... but i can´t run from it... is not recognized.

Wrong format?
Wrong encryption?
Wrong compatibility 7.6.1?

(?)
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

If you are using the CD image: http://macintosh463.rssing.com/chan-253 ... ll_p2.html
you linked to, then you will not be able to boot from it. It doesn't contain a system folder to boot from.
Furthermore, if you want to use SheepShaver to boot anything below 8.5, then you need to use the old world rom.

Best,
Cat_7
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Maybe this could be a starting point for you?
http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/macos-753-emulators
Third upload - don´t forget the ROM pointed to.

As Apple´s servers with the free 7.5.3 are down, you may find the Apple Anthology hosted on Max1zzz`s server quite useful. http://macintoshgarden.org/forum/max1zz ... mac-server
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

figatrix wrote:I have mounted the CD disk on my desktop and with Disk utilities: create new image disk from this disk: ("read only" format and "no one" encryption) and an archive "dmg" is create: "Mac OS 7.6.1.dmg"
A read only format will not be recognized by SheepShaver. As I wrote before (and as indicated in the setup manual) the format must be either DVD/CD Master or read/write.
figatrix
Student Driver

Post by figatrix »

Many Thanks... This MacOS 7.5.3 go well and is bootable...

:smile: