Apps have generic icons only

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

podolsky
Tinkerer

Apps have generic icons only

Post by podolsky »

I noticed that my copy of ResEdit and other apps all show up only as generic "whitepaper" icons in Finder inside Sheepshaver. is that just the way it is or is there something I can do to get icons to render?

Thanks,
Richard Podolsky
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Apps have generic icons only

Post by adespoton »

Does the software still run? If it does, you just have to rebuild the desktop to get the icons back (quit the finder and relaunch it while holding command-option, or hold command-option while first booting into the Finder).

If the software no longer works, it's possible that either you lost the resource fork (you're missing half the file) or the file type and creator got damaged.

If you have the files on the host system via a shared directory, it's also possible that the OS just isn't seeing the type and creator codes. Rebuilding the desktop *might* work, but it would be better to copy the files to an internal volume.
podolsky
Tinkerer

Post by podolsky »

Thank you for the suggestion. All my software runs fine but not a single app, mine or any app shows their icons. Only generic icons for all apps. Rebooting control option did not rebuild the desktop or if it did it not allow the finder to render any icons for apps or docs. This has always been true within in sheepshaver on every installation I have ever had. Any other ideas?
podolsky
Tinkerer

Post by podolsky »

ok. I got it too work. To rebuild the desktop you have hit control option as soon as you see the "Mac OS 9" splash screen. So, it worked and your suggestion was spot on!!!! Makes things so nice - Thank you!!!
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

One other thing: have you run Disinfectant over your OS 9 file system lately?

WDEF-A doesn't actually function on OS 9 (I think some version of System 7 or maybe even System 6 was the last version that contained WDEF resources in the desktop file), but I remember it doing similar things to the icons back in the day.
podolsky
Tinkerer

Post by podolsky »

What is Disinfectant? Does it run within SheepShaver or on my host machine inside OSX?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Disinfectant is an Antivirus product for Classic Mac OS. It runs inside SheepShaver. If you run the software, it gives you the option to install Disinfectant Init, which is an extremely good idea, as it detects and blocks all Classic Mac viruses (note: it doesn't detect macro viruses or more modern trojans, but you're unlikely to be hit by those anyway).

And some of the disk images on Macintosh Garden (among other places) ARE infected, so you should always scan before you run.