System 7.5.3 can't run certain programs (error type 10)

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

car15
Space Cadet

System 7.5.3 can't run certain programs (error type 10)

Post by car15 »

Hello,

I am very new to the emulation game, but have decided to emulate System 7.5.3 on my OS X (Snow Leopard) computer to play some old games.

I downloaded the OS from Apple's website and managed to get through the installation process using the Old World ROM and a Disk Tools 8.5 image (as per Cat_7's helpful advice in this thread). I installed to a 2GB virtual HD and encountered no problems during the install process.

The virtual HD boots up fine and I am able to install certain programs (Acrobat 2.1), but I have had problems with other programs. I installed Castles: Siege & Conquest (which also installs QuickTime 2.1 and Sound Manager 3.1 as system software), but every time I try to open the game, I get this message:

Code: Select all

Sorry, a system error occurred.
"Castles CD"
  error type 10
I suspect that it might be a problem with the related system software, but I am not sure how to verify that it was even installed properly. Can anyone help?

EDIT: I should add that the games I want to play are all written for PPC. Does this have any influence on which ROM I should choose? The virtual HD only boots with the Old World ROM.
car15
Space Cadet

Re: System 7.5.3 can't run certain programs (error type 10)

Post by car15 »

UPDATE

I got the game to work, but it is rendering at a very small resolution. My SheepShaver is 1024x768 and I assume the game is hard-coded to render to something smaller, probably 640x480.

Is there any way to force the game to render at a higher resolution? Or is there any way to render SheepShaver at 640x480 but expand the size of the window so that it fills more of my screen?

Thanks.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

If you set SheepShaver to run in full-screen mode, it will fill most of your screen. You can toggle betwee full-screen mode and window mode by tapping control-return while SheepShaver is running.
car15
Space Cadet

Post by car15 »

Thank you (and sorry for my ignorance - I'm very new to this).

I have one more question. I installed Power Pete from the original CD-ROM and attempted to play the game, but unfortunately it runs way too fast. I think it might be running at 3x the speed of the original game!

Why is this happening, and is there anything I can do to fix it? Maybe something to throttle the CPU?

Thanks again.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Not sure if that will help, but you can try to disable JIT Compiler in SheepShaver preferences, Miscellaneous tab.

(Note that after saving changes in preferences, SheepShaver needs to be quit and launched again for changes to take effect.)
car15
Space Cadet

Post by car15 »

It helped a lot! Thanks for the tip.

It still runs a bit faster than it should, but at least it's playable now. The game runs perfectly in Basilisk II, though.

I set up SheepShaver on my Windows XP machine, and oddly enough, Power Pete runs perfectly on that set-up as long as the JIT compiler is switched off. In fact, the emulator performs much better on the XP machine in general. Go figure.