Starship Titanic - how to run? (for dummies)

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

lilasaur
Space Cadet

Starship Titanic - how to run? (for dummies)

Post by lilasaur »

Apologies for lack of knowledge, I am very new to this.
I am on a macbook pro running 10.10.4, and I have successfully managed to run sheepshaver OS9 by following the instructions on this site.
I downloaded the three starship titanic files from myabandonware. (.sit) but I cannot manage to run them on OS9.
It cannot open if I get them onto the OS9 desktop through the shared folder, as the application that created them cannot be found (?) IF they appear after putting them in the volumes list, they appear as untitled and still cannot open. Despite everything (i've even tried locking and unlocking the files in various places) I can"t open the game. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks in advance.

(edit: sheepshaver_UB_20140201, newworld86.rom, OS9 09.39.15.dmg.img)
neozeed
Apple Corer

Re: Starship Titanic - how to run? (for dummies)

Post by neozeed »

the easiest way I found to run Starship Titanic was to make it's own VM for it. I used System 7.5.3, along with stuffit to expand out the toast images on the 'native' filesystem, then mount the images on Sheep, run the installer, let it install it's quicktime, then run Titanic.

Although I see you are using a newworld ROM, and OS 9... I may have to see if I can get that combo to work.

I believe the key is that it needs to run it's quicktime, and game socket thing to work properly even though you may have later QuickTime installed it wants to check something for version 3 that I guess was not completely supplanted in 4.x or later.
don't do today what you can put off until tomorrow.
lilasaur
Space Cadet

Post by lilasaur »

stuffit doesn't work for me - it says i cannot access anywhere on my computer to expand the files onto. not even folders i created a couple of seconds ago. is there a way around this, or a way around using stuffit altogether?
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Post by Jorpho »

It sounds like you might not have enough free space on your emulated volume. You can always make a fresh one and mount it alongside the .hfv that OS9 is installed on.

There are ways to get around using Stuffit (like this), but that won't help if there's just no space on your .hfv.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

1. You should not move files, especially application files, directly from the shared folder (Unix volume) onto the dektop. Applications cannot run when on the Unix volume and moving files to the desktop will only move them from the root of the Unix volume to a folder "Desktop Folder" on that volume (in the shared folder). That folder is invisible in MacOS, but should be visible on the OSX side. See information in the setup manual here: http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/she ... _unix_disk

2. How did you install OS9? If you used a pre-installed system, like the one that can be downloaded from Redundant Robot, that image file should NOT be locked in the OSX Finder as you should do with a install CD image file. Also, the volume with the pre-installed system has not sufficient available space for any elaborate additional installations.
neozeed
Apple Corer

Post by neozeed »

When you click on the .sit files do you get an error like this?

lilasaur
Space Cadet

Post by lilasaur »

I've managed to mount disc 1, its running quicktime 3.0.2, but now when i try and play, it jus t stays on the screen of the butler robot holding a disk, saying 'please insert cd 1 and wait a short time'
what do?
neozeed
Apple Corer

Post by neozeed »

You are going to need to 'mount' all three toast images, but not within MacOS, but in the Sheepshaver.

You need to move those toast images back out to the 'Unix' Filesystem, then go into the sheep prefrences and add them as drives (I have mine as cd-rom's in the $HOME/.sheep_prefrences)...
treacle.well
Space Cadet

Post by treacle.well »

I am getting the same 'Insert disk 1' message. I added the disk image (StarShip_T_CD1.toast) under SheepShaver preferences, and it is appearing on my desktop as a disk. I tried doing a full install to work around the issue, but it stops unexpectedly almost immediately. I also tried to use system 7.5.3, but VMs are way over my head and I cant figure out how to do what neozeed suggested. Has anyone gotten this to work yet? I'm so close!

(sheepsaver 2.4.20140201, newworld, macos9.0.4)
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Hm, I seem to recall, that a full install did not work for me either.
I think I had 10.6 as host, 7.6 as guest and all three volumes mounted with http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/virtual ... cd-utility
Best try the "small" install or however its called.
Worked for me some time ago.

Good luck!