Moving my virtual machine to my MacBook Pro didnt work!

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

redpro
Space Cadet

Moving my virtual machine to my MacBook Pro didnt work!

Post by redpro »

Hello, I have a MacPro Tower Dual Core Intel Xeon with 16GB Ram Running 10.7.5. I successfully got SheepShaver 2.4.20140201 to work by following the instructions I found here: http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/she ... os_x_setup . I have a LOT of hard drive space at my disposal and I have a LOT of OS9 applications archived but will probably only run a couple of dozen or so in sheepshaver so I created a 4GB Disk Image I named "Macintosh HD". I'm using the “Mac OS ROM Update 1.0” ROM file which works perfectly. I own an original Mac OS 9.0 install CD (I use to work for Apple so I have a LOT of Mac stuff) which I used for set-up. I used the "Mac OS 9.0.4 Update Install" .smi I've had for years to update the OS 9.0 to OS 9.0.4 in the Classic environment. So in my nested folder there is the Mac OS ROM file, the Macintosh HD, the ShepShaver app, A folder called Shared which is my UNIX folder in Classic Environment. Everything has been working perfectly utilizing that shared folder to get my stuffit archived files over to the Classic Environment from my 10.7.5 system. Now that I have fully customized my Classic Environment (I'm a big eye candy fan) I want to run this on my MacBook Pro Laptop also running 10.7.5 with 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4GB RAM. I understand preferences very well so I showed all hidden files on my MacPro and retrieved the pref files in user/home/library/preferences and did the same on my macbook and placed them in that preferences folder but when I tried to run the SheepShaver App on my laptop I get the flashing floppy drive?? Everything is in one folder which works on my MacPro and I moved the same prefs from my last saved state??? So I read on at http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/she ... os_x_setup and downloaded the pref editor. This software is confusing, how do you even edit the prefs in this software?? Also I read about about the self contained virtual machines which is GREAT if it would work but after following those directions I get "The document "OS9.sheepvm" could not be opened. SheepShaver cannot open files in the "SheepShaver VM" format.

Sooo any ideas how to get this to open on my macbook? or better yet how could I just put this on a 32GB usb stick? That would be the best solution to also keep as a back-up restore option.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! PS my first Mac was an SE30!
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Moving my virtual machine to my MacBook Pro didnt work!

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

The prefs are saved in .sheepshaver_prefs (mark the dot in front of the file name) in your home folder, not at the location you mention.
Creating a new prefs file is done automatically when no prefs file is available. You can then edit them through the prefs editor under the file menu. If you name your rom file exactly Mac OS ROM SheepShaver should allow you to get to the built-in prefs editor and you can set the prefs as they were on your other machine.
The workings of the sheepvm feature is explained at http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5754

Best,
Cat_7
redpro
Space Cadet

Post by redpro »

Hi Ron,

Thanx, it worked! It's always nice to know which preferences you're editing! It was confusing because normally the preferences for apps are stored further down the directory in the /users/library/preferences I wonder why they designed the program to store them there? and there is another set in the /users/library/preferences folder?

Also would I need a different version of SheepShaver to create the self contained virtual machine? I am running 2.4.20140201 right now?

Tom
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

The name and location given to the prefs file stems from SheepShaver's Linux background. There it is customary to name such files starting with a dot so they don't normally show up in the user folder.

To run SheepVMs you should download the SheepShaver launcher to manage them from here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/krq4jq9dsrem ... p.zip?dl=0

If you run the currently recommended SheepShaver build it supports them.

"Our" SheepShaver builds always stores prefs in the home folder. Perhaps at any time you ran a "non-official" version from this forum?

Best,
Cat_7 (not Ron)
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

- Oktober 2009 and newer builds all support self contained virtual machines.
- The Launcher is only needed when you want to configure several different virtual machines from one place. (I myself maintain 7 different virtual machines and never use the Launcher.)
- Instructions for setting up contained virtual machines are in the setup manual: http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/she ... l_machines
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

While you're at it, make sure to get a build that supports sparse volumes -- because then the entire disk image doesn't have to get replaced on Time Machine every time you run it up in SheepShaver. I moved to using EMendolson's Sheep Wrapper a few years back, and store my VMs inside -- so each version of the Mac OS I use has its own little sandbox.