sheep_net cannot connect outside network

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

romper
Space Cadet

sheep_net cannot connect outside network

Post by romper »

hi all,

After some wrangling I managed to install the sheep_net driver on ubuntu 14.04 LTS (HAD to su as root for the modprobe to work, dunno why). I have given my mac OS an ip address in the 192.168.x.y (network set to eth0 in sheepshaver) range and other devices on the ethernet can ping it. However I cannot connect outside the network (for instance using classilla).

Maddenly, I have also a duplicate setup on my laptop (only using wlan0 rather that eth0) and that can reach outside networks.

Any ideas on what I need to enable to get my macOS connected outside my ethernet? For the record, I don't think that I can use slip as the network protocol as this entire set up is to allow 2 instances of filemaker pro 5.5 to open a networked file (if the instances can't see each other than the database will diverge).

On a related note is there a sheep_net driver for 64bit Windows 7?

thank you
Old-School-BBSer
Apple Corer

Re: sheep_net cannot connect outside network

Post by Old-School-BBSer »

Hello Romper,

When I first set up SheepShaver quite some time ago on my iMac, I ran into similar networking issues. Believe me; I can understand where you are coming from. It can be very frustrating, and it will try your patience.

However, thanks to the guys here at Emaculation, and the tutorials which they provide, I was eventually able to sort out everything. If you haven't studied them yet, I suggest that you visit the following two URLs:

http://emaculation.com/doku.php/sheepsh ... os_x_setup

http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/app ... heepshaver

In particular, please note what is stated in the second URL above regarding installing TunTap. This is exactly what I had to do in order to create an ethernet bridge between my SheepShaver setup -- which has its OWN internal LAN IP address -- and my host machine -- that is, my iMac which currently runs El Capitan -- which likewise has its OWN internal LAN IP address.

You will have to set up your networking preferences accordingly, both within whatever Mac OS you are running within SheepShaver, as well as in OS X's "Network" preferences pane. You may also have to forward certain ports in your wi-fi router setup, so that they point to apps which are running in your SheepShaver setup, and NOT in your Mac OS X setup.

For example, I had to forward port 23 (telnet) and port 5500 (hotline) to the internal LAN IP address for my SheepShaver setup, being as I run my Hotline server and Hermes II BBS there.

As I said, one of the keys is to install TunTap on the Mac OS X side of your machine.

Also, in your SheepShaver setup, you will have to set the Ethernet Interface field -- on the "Miscellaneous" pane -- to "tap0" -- or something like that -- and NOT to slirp or en0.

Finally, this OS X terminal command will be a great help to you when you experience connection problems, once you have SheepShaver up and running properly:

sudo ifconfig bridge0 destroy

I hope all of the above helps. Just don't give up. You'll figure it out. I did, and I am not the brightest crayon in the box when it comes to this stuff. :)
Bill Kochman
Armageddon BBS
Guam, Mariana Islands, USA