Hardware Volume Lock?

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

macitalianretro
Space Cadet

Hardware Volume Lock?

Post by macitalianretro »

Hello,

today I was able to install Sheepshaver for the first time.
Everything seemed to be fine, then I got an IMG file of Cosmic Osmo game, and after having messed with a missing "Disk Copy" installation in order to open the IMG file I was able to open the CD, drag the installation file into my MacOS folder and start it.
Once it starts the installatio produces an error "Hardware Volume Lock", then it progresses, but then again it quits after a couple of scenes claiming to delete a certain file from the System Folder (that I didn't find at all, but maybe I was not able to locate the System folder itself :/ ).

Do you have any clues?

Thanks in advance,
A.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Hardware Volume Lock?

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

- Which SheepShaver build (date) do you use on which host system (OSX or Windows)?
- Which setup manual did you follow?
- Which MacOS version do you use in SheepShaver?
- Did you install MacOS yourself in SheepShaver or do you use a pre-installed system?

- There is usually no need to use Disk Copy to mount .img disk images in SheepShaver. When the image file is added to the volumes list, it will appear on the MacOS desktop the next time SheepShaver is started.
- The MacOS System Folder is named "System Folder" (or similar name in other language versions of the OS).
macitalianretro
Space Cadet

Re: Hardware Volume Lock?

Post by macitalianretro »

Thanks for your prompt response.

Actually I was able to fix it by myself... Even if a felt like a total newbie. :???:
I did use a Mac OS 9 boot image that I put as a second entry in the volume list to make it load.
Then went through the initialization process of the 750MB OS 9 partition ... But I never copied the MAC OS image files inside my partition... So the program was running, but the OS was working directly from the mounted image and not by my file system (this explains why it was read only). Then I've just copied everything into my partion and the rest worked smoothly.

Sorry for that and thanks again for the help.
A.