New VirtualBox Mountain Lion SheepShaver MacOS 9 Tutorial

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: New VirtualBox Mountain Lion SheepShaver MacOS 9 Tutoria

Post by adespoton »

Agreed; I spent ten years as a technical writer, translating engineer-speak into understandable instructions. And I know enough to know that I'm not the person to write this tutorial, as I've already become too involved in the technical details. My mind will automatically translate things that are likely non-obvious to most readers :)

Thanks for sticking to the methodical approach :)
Old-School-BBSer
Apple Corer

Post by Old-School-BBSer »

adespoton wrote:Agreed; I spent ten years as a technical writer, translating engineer-speak into understandable instructions. And I know enough to know that I'm not the person to write this tutorial, as I've already become too involved in the technical details. My mind will automatically translate things that are likely non-obvious to most readers :)

Thanks for sticking to the methodical approach :)
Ha! How ironic that some of the stuff that is included in that tutorial is "translated" into a much simpler form from valuable information that you personally shared with me here. And again, thank you for the investment of your time and patience. :)

During our various exchanges here, there were times when there were things you wrote that seemed obvious to you, but which left me scratching my head, until I either figured it out on my own -- sometimes through experimentation, and just seeing what would happen if I did so-and-so -- or I prodded you for more information.

It is amazing how changing/substituting just one simple word in a sentence -- such as "it", for example -- can greatly clarify a set of instructions. I made this a real point in the tutorial.

The end result of BOTH of our endeavors -- at least I hope -- is that more "Common Joes" will be able to set up SheepShaver in an enduring environment, similar to my own.

However, you may have also noticed that in the tutorial, I did stress that the procedures and methods described therein, worked for me, and may not necessarily work for someone else.
Bill Kochman
Armageddon BBS
Guam, Mariana Islands, USA
Old-School-BBSer
Apple Corer

I have noticed that there is apparently a time limit regarding for how long a period of time a post can be edited after it has been published in the forum. While I can obviously see how that restriction can be a good thing, there are situations where it would be beneficial if an original post which started a thread, can be altered and updated. But since I am unable to do that, following is a more up-to-date list of the topics which are now included in the tutorial, which has been updated several times now since I first published it on October 5th:

a. How to install VirtualBox.
b. How to create your Mountain Lion virtual machine.
c. How to create a bootable Mountain Lion install DVD.
d. How to create a Mountain Lion ISO image.
e. How to prepare a partition to install Mountain Lion.
f. How to install Mountain Lion in VirtualBox.
g. How to create shared network folders.
h. How to use shared network folders.
i. How to install the TunTap kernel extensions.
j. How to copy or move SheepShaver into Mountain Lion.
k. How to set up VirtualBox's "Network" tab.
l. How to set up your Wi-Fi router's "Network" tab.
m. How to set up Mountain Lion's "Network" prefs.
n. How to create and use SheepShaver startup shell script.
o. How to set up Mac Classic's TCP/IP control panel.
p. A Terminal command which may save your sanity.
q. A bigger, better SheepShaver and Mountain Lion desktop.
r. Other useful tips, helpful apps and troubleshooting.
s. Caveats: Just so you know.
Bill Kochman
Armageddon BBS
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Well, what we really need to do is get your stuff onto the Wiki... maybe Clockwise can get you set up with that?
Old-School-BBSer
Apple Corer

adespoton wrote:Well, what we really need to do is get your stuff onto the Wiki... maybe Clockwise can get you set up with that?
Oh my! I will leave that to his discretion. :)

You may have noticed that I have remained rather guarded and reserved, insofar as commenting on other people's SheepShaver problems is concerned.

In case it isn't already apparent, this is because I know my place here, and I realize that I am playing in the "Big Boys'" sandbox. The "Big Boys" rule the yard, and they definitely know their stuff. By comparison, I am still digging little holes in the sand with my plastic shovel. :)

Thus, I let guys like you, Ronald and Cat_7 do all of the heavy lifting, while I glean what useful info I can, chew it up, and spit it out in a simpler, more digestible form, which I sometimes then share via my tutorial.

So, excuse the comparison -- ha, ha -- but you guys are like cows with udders, while I am like the dingo dog . . . and if you don't know how dingo dogs feed their whelps, look it up! It's disgusting! :)
Bill Kochman
Armageddon BBS
Old-School-BBSer
Apple Corer

NucAr wrote:Not sure whether you were joking, but that user's name is thecloud. Space Cadet is his rank on the forum.
No, I was not joking there. You can attribute it to the fact that I am in my 60's, that I have had poor vision since I was six years old, and that I hurriedly looked in that corner to determine who I was responding to. As such, given the other factors, it is not surprising that I misidentified my fellow companion in these forums. :)
I see there are a lot of terms such as "Wi-Fi router," "Wi-Fi network," and "Wi-Fi/LAN IP address." I think these terms should simply be "router," "network" (or "LAN"), and "private IP address." It is important to point out to beginners that the emulator's networking will not* work over a Wi-Fi connection, since SheepShaver and Basilisk II require Ethernet frames. This is why VirtualBox's network adapter must be bridged to the host's Ethernet interface.
While I did use my Airport Extreme wi-fi router to set up everything, I did in fact use it to set up an ethernet-based LAN for VirtualBox and SheepShaver, in addition to the already-established wi-fi network. As such, I can see how some of the terminology I used may be confusing to some folks. Therefore, in at least three different places in the tutorial, and where appropriate, I changed "wi-fi" to "ethernet", in order to stress that we are actually using the wi-fi router to set up an internal ethernet network for VirtualBox, Mountain Lion and SheepShaver/Mac OS 9.0.4.

What I just realized that I failed to do in the tutorial -- and will do so shortly -- is emphasize that I also have an ethernet cable connected from my wi-fi router to my iMac. Without mentioning that important fact, some folks may be scratching their heads for a very long time, and wondering why things are not working right for them. :)
*In order to use a wireless connection, you would need a bridge-mode OpenVPN server, or some other layer-2 VPN or tunneling program that can handle Ethernet frames. Then you would bridge VirtualBox's network adapter to the VPN's TAP interface.
You may already know this, but there is a section in the tutorial where I explain how to install the Tun and Tap kernel extensions, so that an ethernet connection is established between Mountain Lion and SheepShaver.
Bill Kochman
Armageddon BBS