NO BLUE SCREEN!!! . . . I Am Floored!!!

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Old-School-BBSer
Apple Corer

NO BLUE SCREEN!!! . . . I Am Floored!!!

Post by Old-School-BBSer »

Maybe some of the rest of you Emaculation expert geeks already knew about this perk of running SheepShaver inside Mountain Lion in a VM, but I most certainly didn't. As a result, it has put a smile on my face.

Lo and behold, yesterday, after I had finally installed MultiBeast and got my screen resolutions fixed for the Mountain Lion VM window -- now running at 1280x1024 -- and my SheepShaver/OS 9.0.4 window -- now running at 1280x800 -- I suddenly made the discovery that the blue screen issue had up and vanished; just POOF!!!

Well . . . sort of. It depends on how you look at it. Are you confused?

So here's the deal . . .

If you minimize the SheepShaver window to the Dock in your Mountain Lion VM, and then you take it out again, YES, the blue screen problem manifests itself.

Likewise, if you have WindowMizer installed in your Mountain Lion VM, and you scroll up the SheepShaver window like a windowshade, and then you unscroll it, YES, you will also get the blue screen.

But here comes the good part.

Quite by accident, I discovered yesterday that my Mountain Lion VM window -- which contains the SheepShaver window inside it -- remains immune to the blue screen issue.

For now, I am assuming that immunity to the blue screen is due to the fact that the Mountain Lion VM window is one layer above -- or separate from -- the SheepShaver window inside it. Or perhaps MultiBeast installed something which is making this possible.

Whatever the case may be, I can either minimize the Mountain Lion VM window to my El Capitan Dock, or scroll it up using WindowMizer, and when I open it again, there is no blue screen on the interior SheepShaver window.

This works perfectly for me, because now I can get the Mountain Lion VM/SheepShaver window out of the way on my main El Capitan desktop, without having to worry about the blue screen appearing when I reopen the window.

Here is a picture of my Mountain Lion VM desktop, with the SheepShaver desktop inside it. I just took this pic a few hours ago. It is a full resolution screen capture without any resizing or compression and measures 1364 x 1151 pixels in size:

Last edited by Old-School-BBSer on Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Kochman
Armageddon BBS
Guam, Mariana Islands, USA
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: NO BLUE SCREEN!!! . . . I Am Floored!!!

Post by Cat_7 »

Great!

When I look at the screen shot, withstanding all the quirks and issues, I still somehow feel it is unbelievable what this piece of emulation software achieves.

Best,
Cat_7
Old-School-BBSer
Apple Corer

Indeed! Quite amazing!

Now, as Adespoton mentioned in another thread, let's hope that some EFI experts involved with MultiBeast will eventually find a way to fix some of the other quirky things in VirtualBox. Currently at the top of my list is the most basic and necessary function that is played by modifier commands, such as command-c, command-v, command-g, etc. Having to go to the menu to do certain things grows tedious rather fast.

BTW, I don't know if you had a look at my tutorial yet, but right now I am in the middle of adding a new section to it called "A BIGGER BETTER SHEEPSHAVER & MOUNTAIN LION DESKTOP". As you can imagine, it discusses my recent battles with, and victor over, VirtualBox's limitation regarding SheepShaver and Mountain Lion VM desktop size.
Bill Kochman
Armageddon BBS
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Old-School-BBSer wrote:Indeed! Quite amazing!

Now, as Adespoton mentioned in another thread, let's hope that some EFI experts involved with MultiBeast will eventually find a way to fix some of the other quirky things in VirtualBox. Currently at the top of my list is the most basic and necessary function that is played by modifier commands, such as command-c, command-v, command-g, etc. Having to go to the menu to do certain things grows tedious rather fast.

BTW, I don't know if you had a look at my tutorial yet, but right now I am in the middle of adding a new section to it called "A BIGGER BETTER SHEEPSHAVER & MOUNTAIN LION DESKTOP". As you can imagine, it discusses my recent battles with, and victor over, VirtualBox's limitation regarding SheepShaver and Mountain Lion VM desktop size.
Actually, I can fix the modifier commands issue for you right now... you need to enable keyboard capture in VirtualBox :) This is usually toggled by pressing the host key (by default, right option key). Looks like you've set yours to left command key, which is what is causing your problem -- instead of being interpreted as the command modifier, it is being used to escape you from the environment and is then triggering the El Cap command you'd expect :)

Change the key to something else (a key you don't use very often) and you'll have the expected behaviour back.
Old-School-BBSer
Apple Corer

Coming to my rescue again, are you? :mrgreen:

I will definitely have a look at it ASAP . . . and then I am going to have to edit one line in my tutorial due to this most recent enlightment from one of our Emaculation gurus. :razz:

I'll let you know if I am too thick-headed to figure it out. But I have gotten this far, despite by little green horns sticking out of the top of my head. :smile:

5 minutes later . . .

Thank you again! Now done! New folder, copy, paste, etc. are now working again. I don't know how that setting got changed to left command key. Maybe I did it, and just don't remember.

I am going to add this to the tips section near the bottom of my tutorial, along with a few other things I already have in mind.
Bill Kochman
Armageddon BBS