Suddenly can't see outside network

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Randy
Space Cadet

Suddenly can't see outside network

Post by Randy »

I've been using SheepShaver with some demonstrated facility (although without expert status) for many years. Somehow, after upgrading to OS X El Capitan, my SheepShaver installation no longer "sees" the network outside my computer. Let me attempt to clarify what I mean by that:

1) I made no other changes to my SheepShaver installation.
2) The appropriate slirp protocol designation remains in prefs.
3) The OS9 TCP/IP control panel still appears to have assigned an appropriate IP address.
4) I've been searching this board for an answer, but such answer has eluded me although I realize it almost certainly exists.

One such board search led me to a thread that suggests that network access can only be achieved by installing TunTap on the OS X side, assigning appropriate ports within TunTap to SheepShaver, changing the SheepShaver pref from slirp to tap0, at which point I no longer follow. In any event, I never had to wrangle these kinds of gymnastics before to make my SheepShaver installation see the network beyond.

Any solution, or even a clue, or even just an ounce of empathy in case I turn out to be a complete moron, would be so appreciated.

Randy
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Suddenly can't see outside network

Post by adespoton »

El Capitan instituted a new security model that could be getting in the way of slirp -- I have to admit I haven't tested that combination yet. Tun/Tap still works fine, as a number of us have tried it.

Are there any comments in your El Capitan console logs that are network related and may indicate what's going on?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Randy wrote:3) The OS9 TCP/IP control panel still appears to have assigned an appropriate IP address.
If the correct addresses used by slirp are assigned, they should be:

IP Address: 10.0.2.15
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Router address: 10.0.2.2
Name server addr.: 10.0.2.3

Is this what appears in TCP/IP control panel?
Randy
Space Cadet

Post by Randy »

Yes indeed ...
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

For what it's worth, no trouble under El Cap here: