SheepShaver?

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

josemedeiros007
Space Cadet

SheepShaver?

Post by josemedeiros007 »

Why was this emulator named Sheepshaver in the first place? Any plans to add 64 bit network driver emulation , and an option to boot from ISO?

Regards, Jose F. Medeiros
http://www.facebook.com/josemedeiros007
3371-Alpha
Space Cadet

Re: SheepShaver?

Post by 3371-Alpha »

I'm also new here so I can't answer a whole lot, but I do know that SheepShaver got its name from an older mac emulator called "ShapeShifter". Also .iso aren't supported due to a limitation in OS9 if I'm not mistaken.
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0GHz 2003 (Model: 7,2),
Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard),
3.5GB RAM (OWC PC-3200U-30330 DDR SDRAM 400MHz),
ATi Radeon 9600 Pro 64MB (overclocked to 468.50MHz)
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

josemedeiros007 wrote:Why was this emulator named Sheepshaver in the first place? Any plans to add 64 bit network driver emulation , and an option to boot from ISO?

Regards, Jose F. Medeiros
http://www.facebook.com/josemedeiros007
3371-Alpha is correct as to the name, except for the fact that ShapeShifter was a Mac II emulator for the Amiga.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SheepShaver

As for updates to add new features: not likely going to happen. The source code hasn't been maintained since 2006. Everything since then has been simple additions to the host-facing code by those able and willing to do so.

As for ISOs, there's no limitation to booting from them. ISO9660-formatted CDs wouldn't mount under Mac OS without a system extension, but "ISO" generally means CD image file -- and that's already built into Sheepshaver. Just set the CD image to be the primary boot device, and you'll boot from CD.

64-bit network driver emulation: this doesn't really make sense; OS 9 and earlier aren't 64-bit systems. They already present a network interface to the host by a number of means, and can connect to the network interface of the host (which is likely to be 64-bit these days). I presume you're talking about bundling a signed 64-bit ethernet adapter DLL for the Windows build?
josemedeiros007
Space Cadet

Post by josemedeiros007 »

Thank you both for your replies. My post must have been misunderstood, I would like the BasiliskII Network driver which is 32 bit to work on a newer Windows OS such as Windows 7 x64 or Windows 10 x64. I have a Mac G4 but it's in storage, and was bored, and thought I would try Sheepshaver again on my Windows laptop, but since this post I bought a late 2006 Mac Book Pro with a broken display on Ebay, and swapped the logic board with another early 2006 Mac Book Pro with a bad GPU, and again have a working Mac.

Thank you for the help and your time.

Jose F. Medeiros