ClarisWorks 3 and Word 5.1 cause SS (OS 8.6) to freeze

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

TiddK
Granny Smith

ClarisWorks 3 and Word 5.1 cause SS (OS 8.6) to freeze

Post by TiddK »

This is not a real biggie, but I do like to open archived early versions of documents in the software they were created by.

In Basilisk (OS 7.5.3) I can run:
  • ClarisWorks 3
    Word 5.1
    FileMaker Pro 2
In SheepShaver (OS 8.6) I can run:
  • FileMaker Pro 4
    FileMaker Pro 2
    AppleWorks 6
    ClarisWorks 5
but CW3 and Word - which are both the same versions that run in Basilisk - just hang at launch. The initial window appears but nothing else happens, and the 'wristwatch cursor' is also frozen, i.e. the hands aren't moving. I have to Force Quit SheepShaver to get things back again.

I can probably live without CW3 though the "this document was created by an earlier version of ClarisWorks, and will..." is irritating. However, Word 5.1 is the only Classic version I have (it runs fine in Basilisk, ran fine on my old PB Duo, PB3400, and in 9.2.2 on an Iceberg iBook). I've tried deleting preference files for Word, but nothing seems to cure the problem.

Edit: Today I found an 'abandonware' version of Word 5.1a. I installed it properly in SheepShaver and the installation was successful. However, launching it has the same result - it just hangs.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: ClarisWorks 3 and Word 5.1 cause SS (OS 8.6) to freeze

Post by adespoton »

Have you tried running them under 9.0.4? I recall doing this with both CW3 and MSW5.1 on actual hardware back in the day. I didn't use 8.6 for long because I had all sorts of memory conflicts in it regarding third party extensions. Vanilla install was faster/cleaner than 9.0.4, but keeping the system stable was significantly more difficult.
TiddK
Granny Smith

Post by TiddK »

adespoton wrote:Have you tried running them under 9.0.4? I recall doing this with both CW3 and MSW5.1 on actual hardware back in the day. I didn't use 8.6 for long because I had all sorts of memory conflicts in it regarding third party extensions. Vanilla install was faster/cleaner than 9.0.4, but keeping the system stable was significantly more difficult.
I haven't yet. CW3 isn't really important but I'd like to get Word 5.1a running in something later than System 7 in Basilisk.

When I first got my PB3400 I upgraded it to OS 8 .. and I'm pretty sure I had no problems with Word - we're talking 1998! - (eventually it ran 8.6 and still no problems I can recall). Of course it may be a SS cause - in which case 9.0.4 won't help either.
RogerB
Space Cadet

Post by RogerB »

For what it's worth; I also ran 5.1a (on all versions of 7, 7.5,.7.6.8, 8.6 and 9. It was my favorite hands down. I even had (and have) the coveted "Red invisible chars" patch (for ¶ and other formating symbols etc.).

Maybe try it with base only extentions turned on just for the heck of it, see if it works at all ? Did it install some font even "wing dings" that it can't find? Are you using a Font util creating "sets" preventing some (and new ones) from loading? Do you have too many fonts installed now and it's choking? Increase it's memory allocation in Get Info panel (even though it's such a small app).

My OS9 SW collection and working production machine is in storage so I can't check anything for you right now (it's all a distant memory but will come back to me slowly). Roll your clock back to 1995 -- maybe it just senses a time warp! ;')

Good luck
R

P.S. there are some interesting tips in this thread on another board:
http://forums.system7today.com/viewtopi ... 694e40dacf
Last edited by RogerB on Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Also, if it hasn't been mentioned already: is "Ignore Illegal Instructions" turned on in the prefs?
TiddK
Granny Smith

Post by TiddK »

RogerB wrote:Did it install some font even "wing dings" that it can't find? Are you using a Font util creating "sets" preventing some (and new ones) from loading? Do you have too many fonts installed now and it's choking? Increase it's memory allocation in Get Info panel (even though it's such a small app).

P.S. there are some interesting tips in this thread on another board:
http://forums.system7today.com/viewtopi ... 694e40dacf
I think you've confirmed what I was already suspecting - fonts. In Basilisk (where 5.1a runs fine) there is just a handful of fonts, mostly the ones supplied with the system. Likewise in COI (where 5.1a runs) there are only the fonts supplied with OS 9. But in OS 8.6 I've installed all the old fonts I used to have including Algerian, Desdemona, Sand, Techno, Webdings, Venice, Chancery, Impact, etc. I also had Cairo in there which caused big problems - was corrupt - and it was a major headache removing it; in the end I managed to but the Word issue is still there, so it must be one of the other fonts. Is there a way to temporarily disable fonts (like you can with Extensions) so I can disable one at a time until I find the culprit?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

There's a number of good font management programs out there for Classic Mac OS -- or you can install Linotype Font Explorer under OS X and manage them there. I can't remember the name of the one I used to use, but I think it started with "Font". It'll scan all the fonts, ensure that they aren't corrupt, fix ones it can, compare their Font IDs to ensure there are no conflicts, re-ID the ones that collide, etc.

Also, a good rule of thumb is not to mix TrueType fonts with AFM/PostScript fonts. Go with one or the other, and things will be much more stable.
TiddK
Granny Smith

Post by TiddK »

I think the utility of renown was Adobe Type Manager, which I have in OS 8.6, if I can only remember how to use it!
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

ATM works, but isn't the one I was using, and it works better with postscript type 1 fonts than with truetype fonts.
RogerB
Space Cadet

Post by RogerB »

TiddK wrote: Is there a way to temporarily disable fonts (like you can with Extensions) so I can disable one at a time until I find the culprit?
Extensis "Suitcase", and then "Font Reserve" (I used the later) were top Font mng utils.
R