Max possible RAM for SS 2.4 (2014-02-01)?

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

SkiAddict11
Space Cadet

Max possible RAM for SS 2.4 (2014-02-01)?

Post by SkiAddict11 »

Greetings,

I recently ungraded to El Capitan. With SS 2.4 I'm able to continue using my Now Up To Date, which is great.

What I didn't check until today, however, was whether my beloved CAD program, DesignWorkshop, works.

It doesn't. It crashes the virtual machine at the end of its launch process. :shock: :eek:

When getting SS to work after the ungrade to Capitan, I didn't change anything about my SS setup or the virtual disk container (or whatever it's called in SS-land). [BTW, it's running OS 8.6.] All I did was replace the SS.app that I had been using with the 2.4 version.

Naturally, the people who created DW don't exist any more. Naturally, I have no idea what may be upsetting it. So I thought I would try increasing the memory for the virtual machine. It was at 1000 which I thought was pretty low, so I tried 1500. And SS wouldn't launch. I found the max I could set was 1425.

Is this true? Is there some way I can give the virtual machine significantly more RAM?

Or are there other ideas I should try to get back DW? I really need to get at some house designs I made a few months back!!

Many TIA!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Max possible RAM for SS 2.4 (2014-02-01)?

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I cannot think of any reason why your your software would not continue to work in SheepShaver after upgrading, unless you did not enable "Ignore Illegal Memory Accesses" in SheepShaver preferences, Miscellaneous tab.

The version number (2.4) does not identify the SheepShaver application, only the build date does. Successive builds can differ while the version number is not changed. I suppose you now use the 01 February 2014 build.

Memory for the virtual machine should not be set that high. 250MB suffices for average use, 500MB is plenty, 1000MB is a lot. The larger the assigned memory, the more chance of crashes because of the not so nice way SheepShaver uses memory.

My advice:
- Set memory for SheepShaver back to 1000 MB or even less.
- Make sure that in SheepShaver preferences "Ignore Illegal Memory Accesses" is enabled.

Note that after changing settings, SheepShaver should be quit and launched again for the changes to take effect.
SkiAddict11
Space Cadet

Post by SkiAddict11 »

Oh! Thank you so much!!!!! Turning on that option fixed the problem! Strange that I didn't need it before (or is it a new option?), but never mind, DW works again. What a relief, I have my house design back!!!

Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you :smile:
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

The option is not new but it became more important on newer host systems. The setup guide advises to always enable it.
SkiAddict11
Space Cadet

Post by SkiAddict11 »

RTFM :oops:

Actually, I did have a quick look through it, but I was only looking for memory advice...my bad!