Trying to get F/A-18 Hornet working

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Lymerik
Space Cadet

Trying to get F/A-18 Hornet working

Post by Lymerik »

I've been trying to get F/A-18 Hornet Classic working for quite a while now. I started on Basilisk II but I have been getting an "error of type 3" so I moved to SheepShaver.

the game is in a .sit format and I can extract it in SheepShaver to a .img. When I run the game it loads up just fine but once I choose my loadout and hit the fly button, SheepShaver crashes to the desktop without any error message. I want to play this game so bad because it was one of my favorite games from my childhood. Can anyone help me? Thanks.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Trying to get F/A-18 Hornet working

Post by adespoton »

Lymerik
Space Cadet

Post by Lymerik »

I read the comments but didn't find anything that can help me.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

1.0 and 2.0 run from Basilisk, but with poor performance, and only if JIT is turned off - if JIT is turned on, which probably would increase performance (?), I get a "Type 3" error on launch. 1.0 and 2.0 don't work on SheepShaver with OS 9 and I've read that's normal, but 3.0 should work. It does launch, but then when starting a flight it quits saying "Ran out of memory". I tried increasing RAM and setting higher minimum size in file information.
and
Version 1.1.2 works perfectly for me in SheepShaver Mac OS 9 with the highest graphics and sound settings. ... To actually be able to control the aircraft with the mouse, set Stick to Gravis Mousetick and check off Slow Stick Control.

I wouldn't bother with the update since, according to its notes, it doesn't fix anything terribly critical and is an unsupported beta. Also, keep SheepShaver updated. The latest TEST version as of now (at E-Maculation) has full-screen toggle and "cursor grabbing," which is especially helpful for playing flight simulators in windowed mode.
Also, make sure you're using a full install of Mac OS 9, and not a COI install or RedundantRobot image. These are only good enough to get you up and running, but generally aren't compatible with gaming software, as they're missing key components.

You could also try running the game in qemu-ppc, but that will involve significantly more command line time than using SheepShaver. Main thing is: disable JIT emulation.
Lymerik
Space Cadet

Post by Lymerik »

I finally managed to get F/A-18 Hornet 2.0 running on Basilisk II
NucAr
Tinkerer

Post by NucAr »

The version of F/A-18 Hornet Classic in "9 BIG ONES" works in SheepShaver Mac OS 9.0.4. I've played it off my own copy of that CD.

http://macintoshgarden.org/games/9-big-ones