Grey screen of death

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

johnbasil
Space Cadet

Grey screen of death

Post by johnbasil »

Hi.

My appologies if this has been said before, but i have searched the forums and couldn't find anythign related to my problem.

I have (finally) managed to set up pearpc, and have the pearpc control panel. I also have the Mac OS X Install DVD.toast, which i renamed to an iso (as i was instructed).

I can get as far as the grey loading screen, but no further. I just get the apple logo, and it apears to be loading, but it just sits there. I have let it run for over half an hour, and tried several times but with no difference.

One thing i find a "bit strange" is that powerIso wont convert the OSX file because it's "already an iso file". but it ont mount it either saying "the file format is unsupported" (although this might because it's in appel format, not windows.

Again, sorry for sounding like such a newbi, but i simply cannot work out what i am doing wrong. I dont even get any error mesaages.
fanman93
Granny Smith

Post by fanman93 »

What version of OS X are you trying to install?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Welcome! I think you might run into problems trying to install from a DVD image. CD images would be better.
You need a PPC version of Mac OSX 10.3 or 10.4
You can set the prom_env_machargs = "-v" and prom_bootmethod = "select" so you get an overview of available partitions to boot from and can see the progress of the boot process instead of the gray apple screen. Perhaps that gives some insight into what is going wrong.

Success,
Cat_7
johnbasil
Space Cadet

Post by johnbasil »

Hi guys, thanks for replying so quickly.

I'm trying to install the ppc version of Mac OSX (tiger). IT came as a .toast file, and is only just over 2GB in size.

On the screen, i get the errror "kernal version darwin 8.0.0: sat mar 26 14:15:22 pst 2005; root: xnu-792.obj~1/releae
_ppc
backtrace terminated - frame outside of ram: v0x0cc133a0, pp=00001a8b

panic: we are hanging here"

And thats when it hangs. Whats i find strange, is that i cant mount the .iso. But possibly because it's in mac format, and i'm using XP.

Here is a screen grab of what i see. Not sure what i'm doing wrong, although i will try to (somehow) convert the dvd into cd's.

At this point, i'd just like to thank everyone for any replys or help! Just to make this a little more "interesting" i'm having to do all this through "remote desktop connection" as i dont have a monitor for my spare pc! ohh, i DO like a challenge ;)[/img]
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

How much ram have you set in PearPC? It should be more then 256 Mb.
You can't mount the iso directly in windows as it is in HFS+ format. You can only mount it in e.g. transmac or ultraiso

Best,
Cat_7
johnbasil
Space Cadet

Post by johnbasil »

hi, Thanks for the tips, but still no luck. Here is a what i get when i try and start.

GenuineIntel
CMOV MMX SSE
[IO/IDE] add IDE0 master as device 'PearPC HDD 1 '.
[IO/IDE] add IDE0 slave as device 'PearPC CD-ROM 1 '.
[IO/IDE] add IDE1 master as device 'EMPTY '.
[IO/IDE] add IDE1 slave as device 'EMPTY '.
[IO/IDE] add IDE2 master as device 'EMPTY '.
[IO/IDE] add IDE2 slave as device 'EMPTY '.
[IO/IDE] add IDE3 master as device 'EMPTY '.
[IO/IDE] add IDE3 slave as device 'EMPTY '.
[CPU/MMU] new pagetable: sdr1 = 0x00300003
[CPU/MMU] new pagetable: sdr1 accepted
[CPU/MMU] number of pages: 2^15 pagetable_start: 0x00300000 size: 2^18
start: 512
start: 134250496
getStartBlock: 0 Apple_HFS
getStartBlock: 1 Apple_HFS
getStartBlock: 2 Apple_HFS
getStartBlock: 3 Apple_HFS
start: 32768
getStartBlock: 0 Apple_Free
getStartBlock: 1 Apple_Free
getStartBlock: 2 Apple_Free
getStartBlock: 3 Apple_Free
start: 2147450880
getStartBlock: 0 Apple_Free
getStartBlock: 1 Apple_Free
getStartBlock: 2 Apple_Free
getStartBlock: 3 Apple_Free
start: 512
start: 2048
[IO/PROM] Add alias disk0 -> /pci/pci-bridge/pci-ata/ata-4/disk0@0
[IO/PROM] Add alias cdrom0 -> /pci/pci-bridge/pci-ata/ata-4/disk1@1
Loading XCOFF...
[CPU/CPU] execution started at 05600adc
[CPU/MMU] new pagetable: sdr1 = 0x1b80001f
[CPU/MMU] new pagetable: sdr1 accepted
[CPU/MMU] number of pages: 2^18 pagetable_start: 0x1b800000 size: 2^21
[IO/CUDA] <Warning> keyb reg1

Then it tells me "panic: were haning here."

I have installed ultra iso. and i'm using the "Mac OS X Install DVD.toast" (2gb) which i renamed to Mac OS X Install DVD.iso. (as per instruction) Although when i try and mount it in ultraiso, pearpc wont load it from that drive (error, cant open file. no error). I need to try and load it from the "c:\pearpc\Mac OS X Install DVD.iso" with the option of "cd rom". And that gets me as far as it "hanging". It's quite frusttrating to know, i'm close, but not quite there.

Oh, and i have tried using "440 Mb" ram and "1024" mb of ram, but reach the same outcome.

One this i DO get in the startup is "applemac IO self test fails!. not sure if thats a problem.
johnbasil
Space Cadet

Post by johnbasil »

Ok, quick update. Sorry to keep boring you all with this.

I can now get as far as loading values and file systems. But it says "file system full", and ends with the power loss setting. But's certainly better than it was. The machine i'm trying to install onto is an Intel P3, with 512mb of ram, and 21GB spare on the HD. I once managed to get to the loading screen in VMware with the JAS apple boot. So i'm sure my system can handle pearpc!

Any ideas?

oh, i forgot to mention. I installed the redscorp release and used that with the pearpc control panel.
Many thanks
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

You don't need to mount the dvd image with ultraiso. It is just to check whether the dvd is recognized as a correct image. Mind that being able to mount the image in ultraiso doesn't mean the image is flawless.

PearPC starts from the image, it can read hfs. It seems you are indeed almost there. You can try to reverse the order of the disks in the prefs. Add the dvd image as first (master) entry and your empty hard disk image as second.
What do you mean with getting as far as loading values and file systems? You did not yet reach the graphical part of the installer?
You also might need to set the cpu_pvr to G3, not G4 to be able to install.
0x00088302 (= G3)
0x000c0201 (= G4 processor with Altivec; Tiger does not work correctly on this processor)

What size is you hard disk image? Is it 6 Gb?

btw: the self-test error is normal.

Best,
Cat_7
johnbasil
Space Cadet

Post by johnbasil »

Hi Cat, thanks for your help. Still no joy though.

the last mesages i get are....

/private/var/tmp: optimization changed from TIME to SPACE
/private/var/tmp: optimization changed from Space to TIME

uid 0 on /private/var/tmp: file system full

AppleCuda_autoRestartOnPowerLossSetting - entered.

And thats as far as i get. Not even the Blue install screen! I was wondering, could there be an issue with my 6gb file? i used winrar to unpack it, maybe this caused a problem?

Many thanks (i really appreciate your patience!)
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Yes,

It does indeed seem that the file system is faulty/full. Have you downloaded the 6Gb file from our website?
Perhaps you should try that one. http://www.emaculation.com/pearpc/macosx_6gb.rar
If you did, perhaps the one from the original sourceforge site works. http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/pear ... ib.img.bz2
It shouldn't matter with which program you expand it. Winrar is OK.

Best,
Cat_7
johnbasil
Space Cadet

Post by johnbasil »

Hi cat, thanks for your help.

I tried the other 6gb img you suggested, but i still get the message "file system full". And i haven;t even entered the setup screen yet! I have to say, i'm close to giving up on this.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Searching around the internet, I found this:

"Apperently this "PearPC Control Panel" uses filedisk.exe to do stuff.
The application was programmed by some Visual Basic Programmer... I should
have known better than to install programs written by visual basic fools ;)
Fortunately... the uninstall program worked nicely... and removed the
filedisk registry stuff so after reboot no filedisk images where being
mounted...
This clearly indicate the problem to me... pearpc messes with filedisk
registers.
Anyway.
Simply running filedisk.reg... to put new/correct registry settings into the
registry fixed the problem.
Nice example of "tools" conflict.
Anyway last time I install a VB application I promise ;)"

so, you might uninstall PearPC control panel and start PearPC manually.

Best,
cat_7
johnbasil
Space Cadet

Post by johnbasil »

Grrr, dam VB! lol.

Thanks for your help Cat, everything is working just fine now. I've never been so releaved to see the little spining colour wheel before!

Again, thanks for all your help! All i need to do now is install it onto my actual 80GB mac hfs+ hdd! but i think i'l have a beer first! :)
johnbasil
Space Cadet

Post by johnbasil »

Ok, final update.

I failed ot get osx to install on my xp machine. SO installed it on my vista machine instead, then cpied that instalation and all its files to the xp machine. It didn;t load, but it did at least spend the next 12 hours instlling. After a reboot, it then didn;t load, complaining about the "localhost" not loading, and then it decided to shutdown, and hang.

On my Vista machine, osx will load, but every time i move my mouse, i get the "event error" issue. NOTHING i have tried prevents this. I have followed every instruction, idea, suggestion. nothing works. nothing makes a difference. But at least it loaded.

So, i copied all the relevent files form my working install on my vista machine, to my xp machine. The idea being that if it works on one machine, then the IDENTICAL configuration should work pn the other. It doesn;t. Again, it fails with "localhost", and begins shutting down, then hangs. I have spent over a week and half on this, sititng up until 4am wiating for it to install, with no working instalation.

All i wanted to do was install osx onto a real hdd, so i could use that on my G4 (i dont have a monitor, so cant install on the G4). But as i cant get this to work on any system, i give up. I have screamed, shoutted, sworn, a hoped beyond hope. But the bloody thing just will, not, work. so, i'll just flog my G4 without an OS.