Trying to get Rogue to work on Mini vMac

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Thobek
Space Cadet

Trying to get Rogue to work on Mini vMac

Post by Thobek »

I've managed to get the Mini vMac up and running on my PC. I've also managed to acquire an old version of Rogue.sit which was the exact version I used to have as a kid.

I downloaded stuffit expander but the files rogue.sit don't unpack. So I acquired another version of the game but same error happens. I have no idea whether this is a incompatibility issue or not. The stuffit error I get is - An internal error has occured (stuffit_no_impl_err).

I'm stuck at this point and have no idea how to continue. I feel like I'm so close to finally getting back my old game but stuck at the last hurdle. Can someone please help me work out how to get these two rogue.sit files to unpack or turn them into rogue.img files so Mini vMac will accept them.

thanks.

this is a screenshot of the game
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Trying to get Rogue to work on Mini vMac

Post by adespoton »

What is your host system that you're running Mini vMac on? Using The Unarchiver should decompress the stuffit file on a Mac, and you can get the commandline unar for Windows and Linux -- sounds like you've got an "old Stuffit" vs "new Stuffit" issue here -- are you trying to unstuff the .sit inside Mini vMac?
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

I could reate an img for MiniVMac in a minute, after switching my notebook from W10. ;)
I did not find the needed Rogue.sit files so far though.

As a general workaround, I would use BasiliskII or SheepShaver and DiskCopy to create a .img.
Expand files in BII/SS and copy the Rogue files onto the new image.
Maybe a long shot for just one game...
Last edited by 24bit on Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gryphel
Nice Guy

Post by gryphel »

Thobek wrote:I downloaded stuffit expander but the files rogue.sit don't unpack.
Some ".sit" files require a later version of Stuffit Expander than will run on a Macintosh Plus. When that happens to me, I next try version 5.5 in the Macintosh II emulation of Mini vMac, which usually works. I provide that version too on my Stuffit Expander page.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Feel free to try this: http://macintoshgarden.org/games/rogue
The game was on Macintoshgarden, but without an image container.
I added the ZIP file as second DL. Replaced System and added Finder, as the first try image did not boot.

HTH
Thobek
Space Cadet

Post by Thobek »

Your a genius! Thank you so much! Finally I'll be able to beat my older sisters high score and perhaps beat the game. We both played this all the time on my fathers 'Lisa' when we were about 10yrs old.

Good times...

thanks again for all your help. much appreciated!
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Glad to hear it worked for you!
In fact, anybody with a Mac (emulator) could have copied the files to a bootable disk image.
If you plan to run more games, you might set up SheepShaver as a helper "Mac". Quite a few games do not come with a disk image container and/or are deflated in a way MiniVMac can not handle.

I did not know the game did run with a Lisa already.
I remember well how impressed I was when my wife brought home her MacPlus from the Office for the first time.
Guess you may call yourself lucky for having had a Lisa at age ten. :)