Fusion in Dosbox SVN Daum

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

powerpcfan
Student Driver

Fusion in Dosbox SVN Daum

Post by powerpcfan »

So I'm trying to emulate Mac OS 8 in fusion within Dosbox SVN Daum.

One issue is that Fusion does not recognize the CD drive if I mount a CD image using the Dosbox SVN Daum's Menu interface, but running the mount command manually though fixes the issue

The big issue I'm having is getting Fusion to boot the Mac OS 8 image I have.
-I took a .toast image and changed the extension to .ISO
-mounted it in Doxbox SVN Daum
-Configured Fusion to use the CD drive
-All I get is the floppy with the question mark.

EDIT: Just as a note, my host OS is Windows 7 (x86)
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Fusion in Dosbox SVN Daum

Post by adespoton »

Fusion will emulate up to Mac OS 8.1 68k. So if your boot CD is 8.0 or 8.1 for 68k Macs, it should work. If it is a boot CD for a PPC mac, or for specific Mac hardware, it likely won't work.
powerpcfan
Student Driver

Post by powerpcfan »

My Mac OS 8 image should be universal.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

I could create a bootable OS 8 disk image for you, if you wish.
Which language should it be?
I might add it to the Fusion page over at Macintoshgarden.

My guess for your issue is that the CD access routing somehow gets garbled on the way W10/DOS/Mac or that booting the MacOS in that early stage from an ATA device is not possible at all.
I never tried to boot Fusion from an ATA optical actually, floppies do boot fine though.
Fusion was said to be picky with Mac volumes anyways, e.g. BasiliskII bootable volumes did not boot with Fusion, although both are emulating a MC68040 (without MMU).

If you want to get the most out of Fusion, SCSI support etc. an old Pentium 4 rig capable of running W98SE is the way to go. ;)
powerpcfan
Student Driver

Post by powerpcfan »

24bit wrote:I could create a bootable OS 8 disk image for you, if you wish.
Which language should it be?
I might add it to the Fusion page over at Macintoshgarden.
Yes, and I would like that in American English
24bit wrote:My guess for your issue is that the CD access routing somehow gets garbled on the way W10/DOS/Mac or that booting the MacOS in that early stage from an ATA device is not possible at all.
My host OS is actually Windows 7. I'm just using an ISO image from macintoshgarden and I mounted that ISO in DOSbox.
24bit wrote:I never tried to boot Fusion from an ATA optical actually, floppies do boot fine though.
Fusion was said to be picky with Mac volumes anyways, e.g. BasiliskII bootable volumes did not boot with Fusion, although both are emulating a MC68040 (without MMU).

If you want to get the most out of Fusion, SCSI support etc. an old Pentium 4 rig capable of running W98SE is the way to go. ;)
I have a P4 computer collecting dust, but it's LGA775 and NOT Socket 478.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

The dust-collector sounds interesting.
There will pATA connectors presumably, but chipset drivers for W98SE will be missing.
May work or not, can´t harm to try if you find the time.
FreeDOS is an option too, but I could not get the Mac mouse to behave decently on my LGA775 rig.

Edit:
Just added the OS8 image at MG.
The OS8 international CD from MG is unbootable with Fusion on my side too for reasons I can´t judge.
An original Mac OS8 CD boots Fusion without issues, if the boot priority in the CD-ROM settings is toggled from Devices to CD-ROM.
Hoping you´ll get things rolling.
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Post by Jorpho »

The latest SVN Daum is widely acknowledged to be somewhat defective. Unless you need any of the special features of the Daum version, you might be better off with a standard SVN build; if you do need those features, you should use a slightly older version of the SVN Daum build.
powerpcfan
Student Driver

Post by powerpcfan »

Jorpho wrote:The latest SVN Daum is widely acknowledged to be somewhat defective. Unless you need any of the special features of the Daum version, you might be better off with a standard SVN build; if you do need those features, you should use a slightly older version of the SVN Daum build.
Ok, I'll try one of the older builds when I can.

EDIT: Nope, still the old floppy with question mark.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

No dice with the OS8 image at MG either?
http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/fusion-pc
powerpcfan
Student Driver

Post by powerpcfan »

24bit wrote:No dice with the OS8 image at MG either?
http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/fusion-pc
I'll try it.

EDIT: It boots to desktop, Thank you! Now how do I copy more programs over since Mac CD images don't work with Dosbox.

adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Use HFV Explorer.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Other possibilities are:
"FUSION supports the ability to mount a PC partition on the Macintosh's desktop.
In order for this to work, you must have the Macintosh control panel, "PC Exchange".
It is recommended that you use the latest version that is shipping with the OS8.1 system software.
In order to access FAT32 partitions, and partitions larger than 1.0 gigabyte in size, you MUST have the latest version.
If you select a PC drive, start the emulation, and at the Macintosh desktop, you are prompted to format the partition, DON'T DO IT! There are only two reasons for this to occur:
1. PC Exchange is not installed and activated.
2. The drive does not match the criteria required for PC Exchange to work.
If PC Exchange will not work with the drive because of it's structure, there is nothing that can be done about it."

A Transfer volume that is not needed for booting:
"You can NEVER use a pre-made hard file for any other emulation.
Using another emulation with a boot partition (or hard file) setup for FUSION will corrupt it, making it unusable by FUSION.
You CAN interchange hard files with other emulations, as long as you are not booting from the hard file."
(quotes from the manual at MG)

Such a Transfer volume could be written by BasiliskII or SheepShaver. Actually thats what I´m doing, as I have some instances of those set up.
If you choose to proceed that way, you might use BasiliskII in Windows instead or in addition with Fusion, saving you the hassle with DOSBox configuring. ;)
If you want floppy and SCSI support for your emulated Mac, BII build 142 is the one to choose.
powerpcfan
Student Driver

Post by powerpcfan »

Ok, thanks.