Trouble extracting sit files on MiniVMac

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

GarkGarcia
Student Driver

Trouble extracting sit files on MiniVMac

Post by GarkGarcia »

Hey guys, I've been trying to install the original SimCity v1.4 for System 6, but I'm not able to make it work. I've been able to get a sit file of the game and I tryed extracting it using Stuffit 4.0.1, but nothing happens. So, I read online I should try extracting it with Sutiff 5. Unfortunately I'm not able to install Stuffit 5 on my device because it says I need a 8000k dsk file, wich I was not able to find online.

Can anyone help? Am I even able to install Stuffit 5 on System6 emulated from a Windows device? I so confused :P
24bit
Forum All-Star

Re: Trouble extracting sit files on MiniVMac

Post by 24bit »

If my memory is correct the last Stuffit version for 68k was 4.1, so you should have the latest possible.
Newer versions of Stuffit archives can not be handled by version 4, as you have seen.
On a Mac, The Unarchiver does handle all sorts of compressed files.
There is a command line version too, but I never tried: https://theunarchiver.com
If you don´t mind to setup SheepShaver, you may use Stuffit 7 from inside the emulator, which should cover many archives, albeit not all of them.

For now, I made a ZIP with the 1.11 floppy images and the sheets here, 4th DL:
http://macintoshgarden.org/games/sim-city
To run the game, just drop the game disk image onto your running MiniVMac screen.
I can´t make much of the French text on the Serveur Apple Assistance.image, maybe someone here can.

If you find the time and think its worth while, you might consider adding v. 1.4 to the page above.
GarkGarcia
Student Driver

Post by GarkGarcia »

Thank you very much for your help! Unfortunatelly I can't make it work yet, I'm kind of a noob on all of this stuff.

What am I supposed to do with the image files? I tryed reading and extracting it with Stuffit 4 and it didn't work... Thanks for the support!
GarkGarcia
Student Driver

Post by GarkGarcia »

Oh, I'm sorry, it worked. I guess something happend when extracting the image file from Winrar or maybe I was just messing stuff up, dunno. Thanks so much man, your the best!
gryphel
Nice Guy

Post by gryphel »

As mentioned on the Stuffit Expander page of the Gryphel Project, version 5.5 is the last that will run on Macintosh 680x0 (but not a Macintosh Plus). This is what I use in these situations - it seems to work well enough in the current (incomplete) Mini vMac Macintosh II emulation.

Also mentioned is that version 4.5 will sort of work on a Macintosh Plus, it is just the installer that won't work. It requires 8000K of RAM (not disk space). Installing in the Macintosh II emulation works.

The page provides downloads for both versions.
GarkGarcia
Student Driver

Post by GarkGarcia »

gryphel wrote:As mentioned on the Stuffit Expander page of the Gryphel Project, version 5.5 is the last that will run on Macintosh 680x0 (but not a Macintosh Plus). This is what I use in these situations - it seems to work well enough in the current (incomplete) Mini vMac Macintosh II emulation.

Also mentioned is that version 4.5 will sort of work on a Macintosh Plus, it is just the installer that won't work. It requires 8000K of RAM (not disk space). Installing in the Macintosh II emulation works.

The page provides downloads for both versions.
Ty! I'm gonna try installing SheepShaver so that I can run Stuffit 5 or 7 and extract those file :)