[Mini-VMac] Sound enabled on Mac II builds?

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Asdam
Space Cadet

[Mini-VMac] Sound enabled on Mac II builds?

Post by Asdam »

Hi all,
I have a curiousity about getting sound working on (preferably custom) Mini-VMac builds- I've tried building them myself, and they appear to otherwise-work, but with no sound at all, not even the startup "beep". This is strange, because on http://www.gryphel.com/c/minivmac/dnld_mii.html the custom Mac II builds available for download appear to support sound flawlessly. This is great for games that work on System 6 with the corresponding 256-color depth and design for a 640x480 resolution, but I'm looking to get some more games working (e.g. OIDS for start) and they require different settings, such as different screen sizes and (in this case) 16-color depth.

Can anyone tell me what I'm missing here? I believe my outputted build with parameters (appearing to be) the same as what's specified in the downloaded Mac II builds should be the same, but instead it has a different filesize etc. And does not behave in the same way...

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Re: [Mini-VMac] Sound enabled on Mac II builds?

Post by 24bit »

Are you using Paul´s build environment in MiniVMac?
What is your target host OS?
Paul has documented the build options very good, you probably did read this already:

"Sound
The Macintosh, Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, and NetBSD versions have sound emulation on by default. The Dragonfly BSD and OpenIndiana version can be compiled with sound, but this hasn't been tested. The OpenBSD version can be compiled with sound, but it doesn't work. (Other versions don't implement sound.)
-sound 1 { Emulate sound }
-sound 0 { No sound emulation }
One reason to disable sound is to avoid the Macintosh start up beep. Another reason is to get a few percent better performance."

I did put together a build for OSX the other day and sound is working.
Asdam
Space Cadet

Re: [Mini-VMac] Sound enabled on Mac II builds?

Post by Asdam »

Thanks 24bit,
I actually realized I was using an old version that must not have supported sound. Upgrading to the current version solved that. That said, OIDS in particular proved to be bugged out anyways, probably something to do with the lack of support for floating-point operations. The game works fine on Basilisk II & System 7, but without sound... Very strange. Anyways, I greatly appreciate the help. I'm running on Windows 7 btw, with corresponding build.