System 6.0.8 and 32k colours?

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

24bit
Forum All-Star

System 6.0.8 and 32k colours?

Post by 24bit »

After a while I got all things into place for compiling MiniVMac with the help of Pauls great MnvM_b35,
Snow Leo /Xcode 4.2 on the Mac side and W7-64/ VC 2013 for PC.
I can´t seem to get System 6.0.8 running with MiniVMac II and more than 256 colours though.
As Monitors is switched to a high color depth, the screen turns to false colours and the emulator becomes unusable.
I do remember I could have 32k and Millions of colours with my Mac II (24MB RAM) but can´t recall the details -
besides the fact that high colour did result in many minutes waiting for loading a picture.

Am I missing something obvious or is this a known limitation - emulator wise or OS 6.0.8 wise?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: System 6.0.8 and 32k colours?

Post by adespoton »

The emulator actually cheats and allows you to use any color depth and screen resolution, independent of what OS you're running. However, some earlier systems behave oddly at certain bit depths or resolutions.

I can run 6.0.8 at 1280x720 with thousands of colors though on an OS X 10.12 host. Which version of Mini vMac are you compiling?
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Thanks for caring!
I did upload the build for Windows and my boot disk for evaluation.
If you should find the time, could you please check it?
https://mega.nz/#!s8dzxISC!9FumYotmCGpj ... SQVgFTZaKQ

Edit: The link is for a 256 colour build and images, sorry.
I´ll recreate the builds with high colour issue. The MiniVMac version is 3.5.8.

Edit2: I´m getting the weird colours with Pauls older builds and a Sierra host as well.
E.g. build 8188 with millions of colours. Maybe an extension installed is the culprit?

gryphel
Nice Guy

Post by gryphel »

You need 32-Bit QuickDraw for thousands or millions of colors in System 6.0.8 on a Macintosh II. It is available from the System installer, under Customize.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Silly me. :oops:
Thanks for responding, I just found the hint in your great documentation files and did what you suggested.
Seems I never cared making a custom install for MiniVMac II.
Obviously it was an issue with my boot drive and I do recall using 32-Bit QuickDraw with the Mac II now.