Getting USB Floppy drive to work under OSX9.0.4 sheepshaver

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

robbo007
Student Driver

Getting USB Floppy drive to work under OSX9.0.4 sheepshaver

Post by robbo007 »

Hello alll,

I have some old Sierra games on MAC floppy disks.

I have Sheepshaver installed and working with OSX 9.0.4. I also have a USB floppy drive but nothing happens when I connect it.

How can I get Sheepshaver to recognise it? Or even so Leopard?

thanks,

Rob
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

It seems you'll need to try to find a driver for leopard for the drive.
You might want to search the vendors site.

If you have access to a windows machine, you can use HFV-Explorer to read the floppies directly and copy files which you can then put on cd. There are some precautions to take when you need disk images from those floppies.

ftp://ftp.uni-freiburg.de/pub/pc/msdos/ ... rer131.zip

Cat_7
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

If the floppy disks are 1.44MB disks, they should mount in Leopard when inserted into the connected USB floppy drive, no special drivers needed. The disks can, however, not be seen in SheepShaver, there is no way to mount floppy disks directly in SheepShaver for MacOSX.
Using Disk Utility, you can make a disk image from a mounted floppy disk and add that image file to the volumes list for SheepShaver. Next time SheepShaver is launched, that volume will be mounted in SheepShaver.

Things are very different with 400k or 800k diskettes. Here is a hardware limitation involved. Those diskettes were written on Mac drives in a special format using variable speed. These disks can only be read on original built-in Mac diskette drives. No other drives, no drives in PCs nor external drives, were ever made that can read those diskettes. The only way to get the content into SheepShaver is to find a original working Mac with built-in floppy drive and create on that Mac disk images from the floppies using Disk Copy. Those image files can be transferred to your Leopard machine and added to SheepShaver's volumes list.
robbo007
Student Driver

Post by robbo007 »

Thanks for the replies...

I think these are 800k disks. (Kings Quest 3) I'll try and hunt down one of the Apple Super Drives (Floppy) and see if I have any luck.

I've built a nice system on my Mac Pro. Roland MT32, Classic OSX9 and Dosbox all working great :)

Thanks,

Rob
robbo007
Student Driver

Post by robbo007 »

I've Just sourced an Apple FDHD External G7287 superdrive and it has a 19pin male D-sub connector. Anyone know if there is a way to convert/connect to a USB port?

Will it work under OSX?

Thanks

Rob
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I don't think it can be connected to a 'modern' Mac and certainly not to a USB port.
See for more info: http://www.vintagemacworld.com/drives.html (see also links at the bottom of that page)

It is probably easier to find (someone with) a Mac with built-in floppy drive. Only older Macs can write 800k floppies, but all Macs that have a built-in floppy drive, up to early G3 Macs (1999), should be able to read 800k floppies, even with MacOS9 installed.