Problems with Rhapsody DR2

Anything about Mac emulation that does not belong in the above categories.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Aksis
Space Cadet

Problems with Rhapsody DR2

Post by Aksis »

Hello Everyone! hope everybody is doing well :)

Im having an issue with my VMWare DR2 Machine.

Once i hit the rhapsody mach kernel, and enter "mount -t cd9660 /dev/sd0a" it pops up with a placment list of how i should use mount , and the other time when i use "mount -t cd9660 /dev/sd0a /mnt" it says "invalid argument cd9660".

ive made it pretty far and set up a decent amount and i dont want to scrap it , can anyone help me out of this rut ? it would be greatly appreciate thank you :)
jonirob
Tinkerer

Re: Problems with Rhapsody DR2

Post by jonirob »

Aksis wrote:Hello Everyone! hope everybody is doing well :)

Once i hit the rhapsody mach kernel, and enter "mount -t cd9660 /dev/sd0a" it pops up with a placment list of how i should use mount , and the other time when i use "mount -t cd9660 /dev/sd0a /mnt" it says "invalid argument cd9660".

ive made it pretty far and set up a decent amount and i dont want to scrap it , can anyone help me out of this rut ? it would be greatly appreciate thank you :)
Try: mount -t cd9660 /dev/sd0a/cd-drivers
jonirob
Tinkerer

Post by jonirob »

fsck

# mount -w /

# mkdir /cd-drivers

# mkdir /drivers-tmp

# mount -t cd9660 /dev/sd0a /cd-drivers

# cp /cd-drivers/next_drivers/* /drivers-tmp

# cd /drivers-tmp

# gnutar xf vmmouse_1_1_i_bs.tar

# gnutar xf vmwarefb_config_1_1_1.tar

# mv /drivers-tmp/VMWareFB.config /private/Devices

# mv /drivers-tmp/VMMouse/VMMouse.config /private/Devices

# reboot
Eidola
Space Cadet

Post by Eidola »

Aksis wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:01 am Hello Everyone! hope everybody is doing well :)

Hi, I know this is years later but just in case any else stumbles across this post...

I had the exact same issue, but it is fixable. You need to set VMWare to boot off the HDD once the initial install is done before rebooting and typing -s. At that time set the CD-ROM image to the driver ISO image and allow the system to boot. The mount command will then succeed and you can copy over the drivers as per the instructions given. Then shut down the VM and set the installer CD as the loaded ISO and reboot again and then it will bring up the configuration program where you can select drivers. The VMWare mouse will be super finicky still at this stage, but I find moving it into the upper left corner will "reset" it so you can manage to get the various drivers selected and then move onto the rest of the installation process.

Good luck to any who find this post and have fun! It seems the issue is trying to change the ISO image while Rhapsody is running, it just does not like that whatsoever apparently!

I'm not entirely sure if the VMWare drivers work as yet, as right now it's doing the second stage install, but it did let me copy and install them, so fingers crossed!
Eidola
Space Cadet

Post by Eidola »

Just a followup, it all worked. This blog post really helped as well, so just wanted to share the link as well for anyone who may find this later.

https://michaelrichmond.net/blog/2007/0 ... psody-dr2/

If you follow the directions there is a way to edit the files to bring the video driver and mouse up before the initial configuration as well.

Everything works! Though for some reason if I go above 1024x768 it doesn't make it to the desktop, a problem for another day!
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Eidola wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:14 am Just a followup, it all worked. This blog post really helped as well, so just wanted to share the link as well for anyone who may find this later.

https://michaelrichmond.net/blog/2007/0 ... psody-dr2/

If you follow the directions there is a way to edit the files to bring the video driver and mouse up before the initial configuration as well.

Everything works! Though for some reason if I go above 1024x768 it doesn't make it to the desktop, a problem for another day!
It's also worth noting that DR2 runs quite nicely under QEMU. I moved from VMWare to QEMU a number of years ago so that my guest image is portable between systems (it runs just as well on an M1 Mac, a Windows 11 PC and a Linux Mint system).
Eidola
Space Cadet

Post by Eidola »

Ooh nice, good to know for sure. Want to check out the last version of OPENSTEP (4.2 I believe) and see how that functions, under Intel that is.

Wondering what the best emulator would be to run the various PPC-based post Rhapsody DR2 builds, but pre-Cheetah OS X under Intel hardware. Been hackintoshing since 10.4, and am gonna need to get Apple Silicon here at some point, but would be fun to take a peek into the early days of OS X. Puttering around inside Rhapsody DR2 was very interesting, so many things from macOS are there. TextEdit.app is there and basically the same thing, apart from feature upgrades, along with so much more.

Thanks for replying, I knew my reply was ancient but figured others would potentially wind up here too. Happy emulating! :cool:
Last edited by Eidola on Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

There are some issues with the Intel TCG machine defaults under QEMU; I still haven't got around to getting a functional Rhapsody, Tiger, Leopard or Snow Leopard running. Once I do, I'll put up my UTM configs for those.

However, I also haven't got Rhapsody working under UTM; it assumes some things that you can manually adjust in vanilla QEMU but are more difficult to manage under UTM.

We should probably spin up a new topic on here to specifically discuss Rhapsody x86 emulation in QEMU, as there are quite a number of things that need to be tweaked to get that working, but we can't leave things in the realm of x86 VMs forever.