Communicating to and from Host and Guest system

Anything about Mac emulation that does not belong in the above categories.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

krum110487
Space Cadet

Communicating to and from Host and Guest system

Post by krum110487 »

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for a solution to be able to communicate between the host (linux/windows) and the guest (System 5.1 to OS 9.2.2) with any of the emulators out there.

Specifically:
Mini Vmac
Sheepshaver
Basilisk II
MacPlus
QEMU

I suspect that I can use TCP/IP or some sort of internet protocol to do this, but I wasn't sure what programs are out there. My goal is to be able to send messages back and forth and be able to do a few actions on the Mac side as needed.

Actions on the mac classic side:
Send Key Presses, Mouse Clicks, Detect CD or Disk Insert, create folder/file, run application, some sort of Scripting possibly?

I am by no means a mac classic expert, and I am trying to figure out if I need to learn how to program Mac Networking protocol (which I know nothing about) or is there 1 or more programs already made where I can set them up to achieve this.

If it comes down to programming it would be great if someone could give me some source code that works on any OS classic system so I reference it to hack something together. I haven't been able to find anything online. I know C++ but it has been a while, I am willing to learn any language or combination there of, if needed.

I shouldn't need any examples from the host side, other than maybe any special setup so I can pickup the packets.

Thanks,
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Communicating to and from Host and Guest system

Post by Cat_7 »

I found this about applescript, over here: https://macscripter.net/viewtopic.php?id=24581

Tell' blocks can now accept URLs in the 'machine' parameter, allowing AppleScript control of remote applications via TCP/IP (i.e., over networks and the Internet). Scripts using this feature will not work under earlier versions of AppleScript or the Mac OS. The dialog box opened by the 'choose application' command in the Standard Additions scripting addition now includes a checkbox to enable the user to choose applications over IP protocols, although the AppleScript command itself has not changed. A new 'choose URL' command in Standard Additions is implemented to let the user choose a network service and return its URL. Detailed explanations and sample scripts are available in the Program Linking over IP AppleScript GuideBook module. In addition, an article was published in November 1999 in TidBITS #504 offering an overview of technical issues and techniques. 11/7/99

This might be interesting too:
https://macscripter.net/viewtopic.php?id=36828

Whether all features you imagine would be possible, I don't know.
I also don't know whether you are planning to run a guest really remote, or on the same host.
For something like the above to work, you would also need to run guest Mac OS running on the local host.
Networking options to such a setting (Mac OS as guest on local host and Mac OS as guest on remote host), would most likely require running tap networking in both guests. That might provide additional issues with respect to setting that up. It can be done for sure with SheepShaver, Basilisk and Qemu. I'm not sure about the others.

Best,
Cat_7