Help with Classic Environment (run it in full screen)

Anything about Mac emulation that does not belong in the above categories.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Rikintosh
Space Cadet

Help with Classic Environment (run it in full screen)

Post by Rikintosh »

I've been digging through the classic environment, and I wonder if anyone can help me make it run mac os 9 in full screen. Even if I hack the finder's app (for it to be recognized as a standard app), it will not display the desktop window
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Help with Classic Environment (run it in full screen)

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

What are you referring to, the "Classic Environment" that would work in Mac OS X on PPC Macs up to Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)? Are you running Mac OS X together with Mac OS 9 on an actual PPC Mac or in a PPC Mac emulator? QEMU?
The Classic Environment wil run integrated inside Mac OS X. If you want to run Mac OS 9 by itself, with the Mac OS 9 Finder, you will need to start up from Mac OS 9. (Which was not possible anymore on later PPC machines.)

Or are you just running Mac OS 9 in a PPC Mac emulator? That is not called "classic environment".
If so, which emulator on which host system?

(This topic should probably belong in a different forum.)
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:32 am What are you referring to, the "Classic Environment" that would work in Mac OS X on PPC Macs up to Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)? Are you running Mac OS X together with Mac OS 9 on an actual PPC Mac or in a PPC Mac emulator? QEMU?
The Classic Environment wil run integrated inside Mac OS X. If you want to run Mac OS 9 by itself, with the Mac OS 9 Finder, you will need to start up from Mac OS 9. (Which was not possible anymore on later PPC machines.)

Or are you just running Mac OS 9 in a PPC Mac emulator? That is not called "classic environment".
If so, which emulator on which host system?

(This topic should probably belong in a different forum.)
I'm pretty sure from his details, he's talking about running Classic on a PPC Mac, but making it look like OS 9 by displaying the Classic desktop.

However, we don't know which host OS he's using, nor which guest OS. He might have some success with this using early versions of OS X / OS 9.1; using 10.4.11 and 9.2.2, he'd need to heavily modify the Classic extension in order to bring back the desktop; it's not managed by the Finder itself, but is patched at the system layer, overriding the Finder.
Rikintosh
Space Cadet

Post by Rikintosh »

Yes, I am using mac os x 10.4.11 on a 1.33ghz g4 powerbook, it is not able to start mac os 9 (there are some hacks, but it will not work properly). My intention is to run the classic environment in full screen, to have access to mac os 9, inside mac os x, using mac os x only as a "compatibility layer", because for my needs, only mac os 9 is interesting .

I know it would be easier for me to look for the programs I want to run in updated versions for mac os x, but that is not the point, it is being able to have the nostalgia to play with the 9, even without having a capable computer. As is the case of the g4 (1ghz+) and g5 ppc
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Rikintosh wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:41 am Yes, I am using mac os x 10.4.11 on a 1.33ghz g4 powerbook, it is not able to start mac os 9 (there are some hacks, but it will not work properly). My intention is to run the classic environment in full screen, to have access to mac os 9, inside mac os x, using mac os x only as a "compatibility layer", because for my needs, only mac os 9 is interesting .

I know it would be easier for me to look for the programs I want to run in updated versions for mac os x, but that is not the point, it is being able to have the nostalgia to play with the 9, even without having a capable computer. As is the case of the g4 (1ghz+) and g5 ppc
You'll probably do better asking over at macos9lives! or 68kmla.org -- nobody's done what you're looking for yet as far as I know; I have a Mini that runs 10.4.11 in order to run Classic, and for that, I just created a Classic-looking desktop for 10.4 and hid the dock. I've got another Mini running OS 9 native, but the PMU issues would make this rather problematic/annoying on a PB G4. But again, progress is always being made there on the MOS9L and 68kmla forums, so a properly working OS 9 may be in your future :)
Rikintosh
Space Cadet

Post by Rikintosh »

Unfortunately the people there don't seem to like my idea very much. I'm afraid they are too homesick, and prefer to keep trying to make OS9 work on unsupported computers (even without drivers, high risk of brick openfirmware, SSL support, WPA support and other modern things)