Running System 6.0.8

Anything about Mac emulation that does not belong in the above categories.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

..::| Dave89 |::..
Mac Mechanic

Running System 6.0.8

Post by ..::| Dave89 |::.. »

I've been trying to get System 6.0.8 running in colour in Mini vMac IIx, without success. I'm curious as to what System 6 is like in colour. Is there any way to get this to work, perhaps with another emulator?
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Here you go:

http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5781

"I managed to get color in System 6.0.5, 6.0.7, 6.0.7.1j, 7.0.1, 7.1, 7.1.1 and 7.5.3.
I couldn't get color in all systems earlier than System 6 , and in 6.0.8."

So, just use a slightly older version of System 6.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Also, Basilisk II build 94 might work:

http://www.emaculation.com/basilisk/Bui ... 031099.zip
Mac Mechanic

I've tried 6.0.5 in Mini vMac IIx, with no success. With Basilisk II Build 94, I only get 512x342, B&W Mac Classic emulation.

The version of Mini vMac I'm using is 3.1.0 IIx on Windows Vista.

I can't even get System 7.0.1 to display colour in this version, so I will have no chance of getting System 6 to display colours.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

How about using the same version as the people who have successfully gotten color to work?
Mac Mechanic

The version I had wasn't color capable, downloaded a color capable IIx version, everytime I try to enable colour in system 6.0.5 & 6.0.8, it crashes. Can Softmac boot into System 6 with Color? I tried but I could only get it to boot into System 7.5. I tried all the modes, Classic, Mac II & Quadra, all with different ROMs. I have IIx, Plus, Classic and Performa 630 ROMs.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

You should definately post into one of those threads about color in Mini vMac to get some help. One of the people that have done it can surely offer some advice.

I don't think that SoftMac will be helpful for you. But you should contact the developer, Darek Mihocka, for advice.

His e-mail is: darekm@emulators.com

Darek enjoys helping people use the emulator and always offers good advice.
Ambassador
Apple Corer

Post by Ambassador »

Darek enjoys helping people use the emulator and always offers good advice.
You would think... :lol:

As for this issue, I myself have tried to get System 6 running other than with a Mac Classic ROM. Up to the point MinivMac II was released, it was frankly impossible.

The problem is that both SoftMac and Basilisk II 94 (and all other Basilisk II builds as well) suffer from the same problem of somehow forcing the emulated computer to use 32-bit addressing instead of 24-bit. System 6 requires 24-bit. I do not know of any way to change this setting in Basilisk II or SoftMac.

So I'm afraid your probably out of luck if you want a [i[functional[/i] System 6 install with colour. At this point MinivMac II is very unstable in terms of Mac II emulation.
24bit
Forum All-Star

No problem with WinXP

Post by 24bit »

Hi,
as far as I know, MiniVMacII 3.10 is runnig pretty good with
System 6.08.
My host system is WinXP-pro SP2. Still MiniVMacII 3.10 isn't
already completed, so you wont be able to run the install
routine of 6.08. The workaround is: Run MiniVMac (128k ROM) and create a fresh system folder for a MacII by means of the options in the 6.08 install routine.
The new system folder will do the job.

Best wishes!
Silent Flamer
Master Emulator

Post by Silent Flamer »

Hello? As I remember , no matter what Mini vMac variation you use , you can't get colors . Paul C. Pratt said that he MIGHT make colors next time , however , doing so might destroy their reputation of emulating the OLDEST MACINTOSHES .
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Silent Flamer wrote:As I remember , no matter what Mini vMac variation you use , you can't get colors .
Not entirely true. Read the first couple of posts in this very topic and some example images in these Mini vMac topics:
http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5458
http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6047
Silent Flamer
Master Emulator

Post by Silent Flamer »

SO sorry for last time . I got colours for my Mac II , which I recently emulated on a Mini vMac(Mac II Variation) . However , as Paul C.Pratt said , it sucked . Almost all it's features were unavailable . Colour is alright , but you can't open many of the control panels . We can take that incomplete version as a prototype .