Mac II & MESS

Anything about Mac emulation that does not belong in the above categories.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

almeath
Mac Mechanic

Mac II & MESS

Post by almeath »

I have a few color Macintosh games from the late 1980s that will not run properly in System 7. I cannot get them to work in Basilisk II or SheepShaver and I do not want to run them in b&w on Mini VMac.

I have seen guides on how to setup a working Mac Plus virtual machine in MESS. Can anyone confirm whether it is possible to get System 6 working in color in MESS in a reasonably stable way? Perhaps by emulating a Mac II?

I realize the MESS interface is command-line driven and not particularly user-friendly, but I am finding it difficult to wait for color Mac II emulation to work in the OSX version of Mini VMac. Strange how it is easier to emulate System 6 in color on Windows than it is on an actual Mac.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Re: Mac II & MESS

Post by 24bit »

Maybe a long shot, but I found Fusion_PC to be the closest approach for a MacII available.
http://www.emulators.com/download.htm
I do not know whether Fusion30 could use 6.0.8, but I presume 24bit mode is not possible.

If you can find old hardware capable of running Windows98, Fusion30 with 7.0.1 plays some apps and games BasiliskII does not like at all.
Fusion30 can also be run in DOSBox with the usual limitations of an emulator running in an emulator. Its rather easy to set up and its quite fast on old hardware.
More or less playable in DOSBox too, if the screen isn´t too big.
almeath
Mac Mechanic

Re: Mac II & MESS

Post by almeath »

Thanks for that suggestion. Configuring MESS does look rather daunting, so I would prefer to first rule out all other alternatives.

Since I have a relatively fast Core i7 system, perhaps I'll get acceptable peformance out of Fusion running in DOSBox... I'll report back on my success or lack thereof.