Music applications that need serial/USB MIDI interface

Anything about Mac emulation that does not belong in the above categories.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

wavesequence
Space Cadet

Music applications that need serial/USB MIDI interface

Post by wavesequence »

It's my first post, so I hope you'll be understanding... :lol:

As a long Mac OS user since 1987 I always kept track of my OS9.x softwares until OSX 10.4.11, thanks to Classic. Then since OSX 10.5.x I had to leave those applications (Opcode Galaxy plus Editors in primis, AN1x Edit and AN Expert Editor) on a G4 1,25DP.
To overcome this annoying issue I created a twin MIDI configuration so that I can unplug USB cables of my 3 MotU 128 Midi Express interfaces from MacPro and then plug it into G4 1,25DP... But this is not a clever and efficient way to work, because 9 times out of 10 I have to recable due to a strange logical of MIDI port reassignation. :(

All that said, what is - if avaliable - a Mac OS9 emulator that supports USB ports and reliable MIDI data transfer?

Thanks in advance
ws
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Music applications that need serial/USB MIDI interface

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

wavesequence wrote:All that said, what is - if avaliable - a Mac OS9 emulator that supports USB ports and reliable MIDI data transfer?
Welcome to the forum, but I cannot give you an answer that will make you happy. As far as I know, no such emulator exists.

Edit: See also this recent topic: http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... =20&t=7668
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
wavesequence
Space Cadet

Post by wavesequence »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:
wavesequence wrote:All that said, what is - if avaliable - a Mac OS9 emulator that supports USB ports and reliable MIDI data transfer?
Welcome to the forum, but I cannot give you an answer that will make you happy. As far as I know, no such emulator exists.

Edit: See also this recent topic: http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... =20&t=7668
Ronald

Thanks a lot for your warm welcome and your prompt reply. Performing a forum search I already succeeded finding that recent topic and nonetheless I posted my question just to have your reliable and authoritative reply :P
So there's no way to run music applications that require in/out data transfer through USB ports. It's a pity but, all in all, I'm in a more complicated situation because I'm on a i7 950 hackintosh 8-) It runs OSX Snow Leopard wonderfully well but, at the same time, I can't create a Tiger partition to Run Classic... :cry:

I'll be back to my everyday solution: pugging and unplugging USB cables.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

IIRC Classic emulation with Tiger was working only on PPC platforms. :(
You should be able to run Tiger (Server) in VMWare with your Hackintosh,
but your MIDI problem is unlikely to be solved that way, I´m afraid.
wavesequence
Space Cadet

Post by wavesequence »

24bit wrote:IIRC Classic emulation with Tiger was working only on PPC platforms. :(
You should be able to run Tiger (Server) in VMWare with your Hackintosh,
but your MIDI problem is unlikely to be solved that way, I´m afraid.
Thanks a lot to you too, 24bit :-)
As absurd as it may seem, on a hackintosh WinXP sp3 emulation through Fusion4 is almost perfect. It's a real pity that MIDI data trasnmission and receive wasn't implemented. I understand that it's easier to say than to do, but if someone could do it... :mrgreen:
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

As Jorpho pointed out in another thread, FusionPC is running in DOSBox with OSX and others.
FusionPC has a config pane for assigning COM ports for the emulator.
If your USB to serial dongle could be assigned to the emulators COM port and if your app would recognize that port, it might just work.

I´ll send you a PM about FusionPC.
yksoft1
Master Emulator

Post by yksoft1 »

However DOSBox's serial emulation is not enough for precise timing required by music applications.
It might be better to run FusionPC on a PC with serial port and running real DOS.