Need help with Warcraft 1 iso..

Anything about Mac emulation that does not belong in the above categories.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

BugMac w/Cheese
Space Cadet

Need help with Warcraft 1 iso..

Post by BugMac w/Cheese »

I'm on a x64 bit system and I'm having trouble converting my copy of Warcraft Orcs & Humans into an iso file, it's the hybrid disc that can play on mac or dos, and so far I've only been able to mount it as an mdx. I've tried converting this mdx file to an iso with ImgBurn but all that did is make an iso folder with the mdx file inside. So if someone could either inform me of a program that can convert mdx to iso, or just share a premade iso of the mac version of warcraft 1 I'd really appreciate the help. If I can't get this working I'm gonna have to emulate a x32 bit system along with the mac emulator, and I'd rather avoid that if possible.
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Re: Need help with Warcraft 1 iso..

Post by Jorpho »

To be clear, you have the actual disc and you're trying to make an image of it, right?

Rather than mounting it as an "mdx" (I have never heard of that before), can you not create a bin/cue image from the disc using ImgBurn?
BugMac w/Cheese
Space Cadet

Yeah I can't play without an iso since my system isn't 32 bit.

Well like I said in the op, all I was able to do with ImgBurn was make an iso folder that contained the mdx file, which left me at square one.
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Post by Jorpho »

BugMac w/Cheese wrote:Yeah I can't play without an iso since my system isn't 32 bit.
If I'm not mistaken, that problem has recently been fixed.
Well like I said in the op
I can see that. But like I said, do you have the actual disc?
BugMac w/Cheese
Space Cadet

Jorpho wrote:like I said, do you have the actual disc?
Yes.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Is your game similar as this one? http://macintoshgarden.org/games/warcraft-orcs-humans
There is a .toast image that should play with an emulator. I did not try myself though.
CharlesS
Granny Smith

Post by CharlesS »

You should be able to convert it to iso pretty easily in the Terminal. Just type 'df' without the quotes and hit Return, and you'll get a list of disks. Look at the right-hand column, "Mounted On", and find your CD there. Then, look at the left-hand column, "Filesystem", for that disk. It should look something like /dev/diskXs1sY, where X and Y are both replaced by numeric digits. Now, run this command:

sudo dd if=/dev/rdiskXs1 of=~/Desktop/warcraft.iso bs=1m

again replacing the X with the number that you got from df. Type your admin password when prompted. If you get an "invalid argument" error, try just plain diskXs1 instead of rdiskXs1.

Note that you want to make sure to add s1 after the rdiskX. If you just copy rdiskX, it'll get wrapped in Apple's weird "CD_partition_scheme" thing, which doesn't match what's actually on the disk and has the potential to confuse tools that are expecting a straight ISO.
There's no earthly way of knowing, which direction we are going, for the rowers keep on rowing, and they're certainly not showing any signs that they are slowing.
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Post by Jorpho »

BugMac w/Cheese wrote:
Jorpho wrote:like I said, do you have the actual disc?
Yes.
So: you put the disc in the drive, click the "Create image file from disk" option, select a destination file, and ... how do you end up with an MDX file?