looking for name of an older programm

Anything about Mac emulation that does not belong in the above categories.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Mac-chatter
Space Cadet

looking for name of an older programm

Post by Mac-chatter »

Hello!
In the very old days of Mac there was software, a disk tool to access certain remote software sources (via modem?). On the client side it was named something like ...Disk... or so. AT least "Disk" was part of the name. You could access a remote server very Mac like and mount the fileservice as your own disk. It was no ftp and not fetch or so. Any idea?

Regards, Mach-Chatter
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Re: looking for name of an older programm

Post by Jorpho »

Telefinder, surely?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Ah, TeleFinder. That brings back memories.

Ages ago, we (two other "sysops" and myself) used TeleFinder to run "SpiderNet". In the early nineties SpiderNet grew to be the major Apple Macintosh online community in the Netherlands. TeleFinder was a BBS (bulletin board system) consisting of a server application and a user application. The user application presented a Mac-like graphical interface. In the beginning the server was accessible only with modem on telephone lines, later also through the internet. One of the sysops had the server under his bed and a bundle of modems in his wardrobe. There were regular (online) meetings with sysops of other TeleFinder BBSs worldwide and with Rusty Tucker, the creator of TeleFinder.

With the rise of internet and all of its possibilities, these BBSs became less and less important. We managed to keep SpiderNet alive when Mac OS X was introduced. The TeleFinder User application could run in the Classic environment. TeleFinder Server, by that time on a Blue and White Power Mac G4, installed in a large server centre, had to be kept on Mac OS 8.6 as it crashed on Mac OS 9.

I do not remember exactly when we decided to stop. It must have been some time in 2005. The remaining users were offered to continue using their spidernet email accounts on a different server. Some still use it.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

In my area, most people moved from TeleFinder to FirstClass, and then to Hotline once everyone was connected to the Internet, and from there to KDX and Wired. I still visit some Wired BBS systems from time to time. Haven't gone on a TeleFinder system since around 1997.

Back to the topic at hand; I still can't remember the name of that thing, but I'm pretty sure I've used it. It was really buggy, and I went back to using ZTerm instead. None of the names springing to mind sound right.