Make prefs file visible?

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

emendelson
Forum All-Star

Make prefs file visible?

Post by emendelson »

In the file macemu-master/SheepShaver/src/Unix/prefs_unix, if you change line 62 to this (replacing .sheepshaver_prefs with SheepShaverPrefs.txt):

const char PREFS_FILE_NAME[] = "SheepShaverPrefs.txt";

then the Prefs file will be visible in the user's home folder, and will open with TextEdit. I hope this forum might consider making this change, because it would make SheepShaver a lot more usable.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Make prefs file visible?

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

A new build in an existing setup would loose access to the existing settings.

And wouldn't this change the name also on other platforms (Linux)?

In current macOS versions it is easy to make the file visible. With the Home folder open in a window, press cmd-shift-. (command -shift-period). That key combo toggles visibility of many hidden files. Double clicking .sheepshaver_prefs will open it in TextEdit.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:A new build in an existing setup would loose access to the existing settings.

And wouldn't this change the name also on other platforms (Linux)?

In current macOS versions it is easy to make the file visible. With the Home folder open in a window, press cmd-shift-. (command -shift-period). That key combo toggles visibility of many hidden files. Double clicking .sheepshaver_prefs will open it in TextEdit.
Yes, the change would affect Linux also. I understand the very good reasons not to change the setting that has been in place forever. I've made the change in my private builds, and it makes things much more convenient - though it may make things less convenient for everyone else.
mabam
Master Emulator

Post by mabam »

What about renaming it "SheepShaverPrefs.txt" and creating a symlink ".sheepshaver_prefs" for backward compatibility?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

mabam wrote:What about renaming it "SheepShaverPrefs.txt" and create a symlink ".sheepshaver_prefs" for backward compatibility?
Or keep the original name and create a symlink with whatever name without the leading dot that makes the file invisible in the macOS Finder.

The whole idea of making the hidden prefs file visible is that viewing (and possibly editing) the file would be more convenient for the not so experienced user. Do you mean that the SheepShaver application should automatically create that symlink?

(I myself created a visible alias of the hidden prefs file in my SheepShaver folder: Made the hidden files visible, created an alias of the prefs file, removed the leading dot from the alias name and made the hidden files invisible again. Double clicking the alias opens the prefs file in TextEdit. Also without a .txt extension the prefs file is recognized as a text file.)
mabam
Master Emulator

Post by mabam »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:The whole idea of making the hidden prefs file visible is that viewing (and possibly editing) the file would be more convenient for the not so experienced user.
[…]
I myself created a visible alias of the hidden prefs file in my SheepShaver folder
And I thought you were an experienced user. ;-)
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:Do you mean that the SheepShaver application should automatically create that symlink?
Yes. But then the name should probably be something like "Link to SheepShaver preferences" or at least contain "alias" or similar. That way, e. g. if for some reason someone wants to delete the prefs file, it is clear that by this file only the alias is deleted.