SheepShaver_2.5_20190504 Quits Even With ROM File in Folder

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Deerskin
Space Cadet

SheepShaver_2.5_20190504 Quits Even With ROM File in Folder

Post by Deerskin »

I downloaded SheepShaver_2.5_20190504 the latest version of Sheepshaver for an Intel MacBook 64 bit running 10.13.6 along with the Sheepshaver folder and the ROM file from redundantrobot.com/sheepshaver_files/roms/newworld86.rom.zip.

I unzipped and renamed the ROM file Mac OS ROM without a suffix and put all files into a folder called SheepShaver.

I launched the Sheepshaver app which bounced a few times in the dock and then quit.

Any advice?

Thank you.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Re: SheepShaver_2.5_20190504 Quits Even With ROM File in Fol

Post by emendelson »

I'm not sure what you mean by "along with the SheepShaver folder", but it seems that you may not have followed the setup guide on this site. It's not enough to download and unzip files and put them in a folder. You'll need to follow the setup guide and set the Preferences as described there.

I downloaded SheepShaver and the Mac OS ROM file, put them in a folder named SheepShaver, and launched SheepShaver. It started as it should, with the floppy-question mark icon. At this point, you can run the Preferences and choose a disk image. But you really need to follow the setup guide.
Deerskin
Space Cadet

Post by Deerskin »

Hi,

Thank you for your reply!

What I meant by the "SheepShaver" folder was that following the directions given on this page https://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=7360&sid=c5773b67654901f35008ccdd56075057 I downloaded the folder from this link http://ronaldpr.home.xs4all.nl/sheepshaverforum/SheepShaver_folder.zip and put the SheepShaver application into it along with the ROM file.

That is how I understood the paragraph found on this page https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sheepshaver_mac_os_x_setup "Classic setup: We start with the description of a classic setup with all files together in a folder named “SheepShaver”. That folder can be anywhere you like, for instance in your Applications folder or in your Home folder. In this setup, with the needed files together with the SheepShaver application in the SheepShaver folder, full paths are not required for configuration, just file names will work.
However, files and folders can be renamed and/or moved to different locations, provided you make sure the file names and/or full paths to the files are entered in SheepShaver preferences."

Please let me know what I might have done wrong.

Thank you.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

This is 10.13.6, so Apple's increased security protections may be getting in the way.

Put the SheepShaver folder in the Applications folder, then drag the SheepShaver.app from the folder to the desktop, then back. Then try running it.

If that fails, we can try launching it from the command line and see if there is any decipherable error output.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

@adespoton
The latest SheepShaver downloads consist of the application only. The new SheepShaver folder (with keycodes file, webloc file to the setup guide, etc., but without the application) needs to be downloaded separately. The new setup guide then tells you to put the SheepShaver application (and a compatible ROM file) into the SheepShaver folder. That way the new security protections in the latest macOS versions should be circumvented.

@Deerskin
As far as I can tell from your description, you followed the instructions correctly.

- You did not have any SheepShaver installation on this Mac before?
- SheepShaver application and the "Mac OS ROM" file are now together inside the downloaded SheepShaver folder?
- Did you check in Finder Info panel for the rom file if it does indeed not have a file name extension?

Edit: I removed the poll.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Thu May 16, 2019 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
Deerskin
Space Cadet

Post by Deerskin »

Thank you for your reply.

- "You did not have any SheepShaver installation on this Mac before?"

Correct

- "SheepShaver application and the "Mac OS ROM" file are now together inside the downloaded SheepShaver folder?"

Correct

In the folder are the following:

Build history.webloc
Mac OS 9.0.4.toast
Mac OS ROM
Setup Manual.webloc
SheepShaver scripts (Folder)
SheepShaver.app
keycodes

- "Did you check in Finder Info panel for the rom file if it does indeed not have a file name extension?"

I manually deleted the .rom from the filename and Finder now interprets its as a TextEdit file named Mac OS ROM, 1,945,746 bytes (1.9 MB on disk) in size.

Thank you very much for your help.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Deerskin wrote:Thank you very much for your help.
Does that mean that SheepShaver now runs?
Deerskin
Space Cadet

Post by Deerskin »

No. It is just a list of what is were and what I did. Sheepshaver still does not run. It bounces in the dock for a few seconds and quits.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Although it should not be necessary with separate downloads of folder and application, first try this procedure to circumvent a security issue in macOS:
- Make a copy of the SheepShaver application to a different location, like your desktop.
- Delete the original SheepShaver application from the SheepShaver folder.
- Drag the copy of the SheepShaver application into the SheepShaver folder.
- Try to launch that copy.

If it still does not work:
Download the previous SheepShaver build (April 1 2019) and put that in place of the newer one inside the SheepShaver folder:
http://ronaldpr.home.xs4all.nl/sheepsha ... 190401.zip
Deerskin
Space Cadet

Post by Deerskin »

The circumvention procedure that you recommended (copy/delete/paste) worked! I now get the grey screen with the flashing question mark.

Thank you very much for your help (and your great work with SheepShaver).