Installing a game on Sheepshaver

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

computer_illiterate
Space Cadet

Installing a game on Sheepshaver

Post by computer_illiterate »

Apologies in advance, since this question has probably been asked 100 times this month alone, but I seem to be clueless in how to actually get an application to run within SheepShaver.

To my knowledge, I have set up SheepShaver correctly (I used this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQAf7GII9NY.) My laptop is a Macbook pro running High Sierra version 10.13.06. I'm running Mac OS 9.04 on SheepShaver.

I'm trying to download this game: http://macintoshgarden.org/games/jumpst ... ted-island. (I'm feeling nostalgic, but now wish they would just put it on steam.)

My first question is which file am I supposed to download? It looks like there are three options here: www, ftp, and mirror?

I've dowloaded two of them and they seem the same, but I wasn't sure.

Anyways, after downloading, I used the Stuffit Expander to expand the file. And from here, I'm not sure if what I'm doing is correct, because nothing is working.

Things I've tried:

-opening the ISO file and dragging (what appears to be) the main application from that file/folder into my applications folder, which is that shared Unix folder. I've read that you can't run applications from that folder, so I've then tried just creating a new folder on the desktop of SheepShaver. Either way, whenever I click on that file, it looks like it's starting to run (the screen goes black and then I get an error message: File not found: INT4TH:INT4TH:CDROM:Text.DF. When I click "okay," I get another message: File not found: INT4TH:INT4TH:CDROM:Movies:M:cred.smk."

Ive also tried putting the whole ISO file into the shared folder, but it won't open in OS9.

Thanks in advance!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Installing a game on Sheepshaver

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

The ISO file is a disk image file. You can add it to the volumes list in SheepShaver preferences. As it probably is a CD disk image, label it as CD-ROM in the volumes list (only possible with a recent SheepShaver build). After saving the change, quit SheepShaver and launch it again. The image will be mounted as a CD on the SheepShaver desktop.

There are many tutorials floating around. The one that we support is in our wiki here: https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sh ... os_x_setup

Edit:
my applications folder, which is that shared Unix folder.
Do not use your Applications folder as the shared folder (Unix Root). Create a separate folder for that, preferably in your Home folder or one of its subfolders.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason:  
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

The three DL links at Macintoshgarden should indeed give you the same file.
First is the main server in Sweden, second is the FT server (for leechers :wink: ),
third is a mirror of the main server in the US to provide better service for the countless non European garden members.

For inflating files on macOS you might also consider The Unarchiver.
With a Mac you may inflate vintage Mac files on the host without destroying the file´s resoucce fork.
computer_illiterate
Space Cadet

Post by computer_illiterate »

Thank you so much! I don't know if I was just not understanding the computer jargon (I chose my username for a reason) but I followed your suggestion and it worked! Now I have to figure out what's wrong with the sound (I gather that's a common problem, the kid in the video tutorial I followed for setting up sheepshaver had it as well,) but I should probably take a break and do something productive first.

I'm so glad it's working. I can't wait to relive my childhood. This website looks awesome. :eek:
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Non working sound in SheepShaver is not uncommon, true.
You need to locate the standalone Sound control panel (not Monitors and Sound) and have to actually highlight the "built in" device, even its the only one available.
The Sound Control panel is not in the Control Panels folder, but in Apple Extras IIRC.
The good: Once enabled, sound will work with every MacOS you choose to install.

(The built in device is called Intergriert in the example above, due to my German MacOS.)