Preferences not saved and SheepShaver hungs 10.5.8 PPC G4

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

rafavegam
Space Cadet

Preferences not saved and SheepShaver hungs 10.5.8 PPC G4

Post by rafavegam »

On an iBook G4 1.5 Gb running OSX Leopard 10.5.8 it is impossible for me to get things done. I've tried everything. I think that problems start because of at the time I press the "save" button once finishing to fill recommended preferences, SheepShaver get hunged (color wheel). Please help :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Preferences not saved and SheepShaver hungs 10.5.8 PPC G

Post by adespoton »

If you're on 10.5.8 PPC, you're likely running a no-longer-supported version of SheepShaver. The latest builds won't even run on 32-bit Intel (10.5/10.6).

Is there a reason you can't revert to 10.4.11 and use Classic?

What version/build date of SheepShaver are you using?

Have you succeeded in booting SheepShaver?

What does your sheepshaver prefs file say is your configuration?

Did you rename the ROM file as MacOS ROM (no file extension)?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Preferences not saved and SheepShaver hungs 10.5.8 PPC G

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

The 01 February 2014 build is recommended for PPC Macs with MacOSX 10.4 or later. However, the 25 October 2009 build may be more stable on some configurations. Link should be in the (old) setup manual in the Known issues section.

But, indeed, 10.4.11 + Classic would be a better solution.

(In case you cannot find the link, next week I will be back at my Mac and can more easily post the link again here.)

Edit:
The issue you describe is know as a sign that you do not have write access to your Home folder. Check the permissions for your Home folder in Finder Info panel for the folder.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Wed May 08, 2019 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: