I had to force quit out of SS and now - nada

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

podolsky
Tinkerer

I had to force quit out of SS and now - nada

Post by podolsky »

I am running the latest version of SS on an iMac running Mojave. I had to force quit out of SS because my app hung. Now, I cannot get SS to run. I would welcome any suggestions.

Thank you,

Richard
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: I had to force quit out of SS and now - nada

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Force quitting SheepShaver may cause file system corruption on volumes that were mounted in SheepShaver at the time. Do you have a recent backup of the startup system image from before the incident? Try to put a copy of that backup file in place of the startup disk image file.
podolsky
Tinkerer

Post by podolsky »

I restored my SS folder from a Time Machine backup from this morning before crash. That folder lives in my Applications folder. After restoroing/overwriting the alleged corrupted version - SS still will not run. I have it running fine from another folder but not the folder I mainly use that has my preferred data. I wonder why that didn't work?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Exactly at which moment did the crash occur? During startup, or while using a specific application, or while changing settings, or doing something else?
I have it running fine from another folder but not the folder I mainly use that has my preferred data.
What do you mean with "another folder"? How did you set up SheepShaver? Do you use .sheepvm virtual machines? Or do you have different files in different folders sharing the same preferences settings (in the .sheepshaver_prefs file in your Home folder)?
podolsky
Tinkerer

Post by podolsky »

It hung while I was running my app. I have another, back up folder with SS in that and its own files. I think, but I am not sure that is uses its own pref file. I have the script to Delete Prefs file. but I have used it as I don't want to take a chance to mess up my working version. Thank you for the help.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

If you use different SheepShaver setups in different folders (not being set up as stand-alone virtual machines that are controlled by the SheepShaverLauncher application) they share the same settings file because there is only one such file. The file that keeps the settings is the hidden ".sheepshaver_prefs" file in your Home folder.

Both setups need to be identical with regard to position and names of the referenced files, otherwise changing settings in one setup may break the other setup.

You wrote that you use "the latest version of SheepShaver". That is my version 2.5, 4 May 2019 build?

How do you choose which SheepShaver setup you will launch? Do you have a copy of the SheepShaver application inside each folder? Both the same version/build?
podolsky
Tinkerer

Post by podolsky »

yes, I am using May 4 version. And yes, I have two folders within which I have two May 4 SS. You have explained everything I need to now understand what is going on. Thank you. In fact, now my preferred folder is working again but the other SS does not. I think I just need to run out of a single folder. I cannot thank you enough. For years I have been able to run a very important image processing program I wrote years ago. I have just gotten to run the most important of the routines in Python using OpenCV - so some day I will not need OS9 :roll: But that day is a long way off - my routine is only running in Terminal and there is therefore no real UI other than command line. Thank you Ronald for you years of wonderful service to the SS community.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

If you want to ensure a second instance of SheepShaver running won't mess up your current configuration, I highly recomment putting everything in a .SheepVM folder. When done this way, all the components of your guest OS reside in that folder, so changing the global preferences won't cause things to fail. Plus, the folder/bundle is easily movable between machines without losing functionality.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

The procedure for creating .sheepvm virtual machines is described in detail in the setup manual:
https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sh ... l_machines