Multi disc installs

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

huuanh2811
Space Cadet

Multi disc installs

Post by huuanh2811 »

I'm trying to install Microsoft Works 4. In order to do so, there are 6 floppy disc images. I can mount them all in SheepShaver and run the installer, but ne it installs from the first disc, it asks for the second disc to be inserted. So it doesn't recognize the second disk image and won't let me eject the first. I've seen this issue posted elsewhere here. Is there no way for SheepShaver to allow dynamic mounting and unmounting of floppies? This is a feature of Amiga emulators I have used. How do folks get around this limitation? What about multi-disc games?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Multi disc installs

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I do not know if this will work for this installation, but it used to work for many. Some were even distributed this way:

Create a new folder on the SheepShaver desktop. When you drag the icon of the mounted floppy image into the folder, a folder is created with the name and content of the disk. Do that with all floppy images. (Maybe best remove the image files from the volumes list when done.)

You can now start the installation from the first folder. The installer should recognize the other folders when needed.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
mabam
Master Emulator

Post by mabam »

Next to the first workaround described by Ronald, I remember using a second, similar one if the first one wouldn't work:

If every floppy contains just one file, don't drag the whole floppy icon into the folder you created, but only that one file the floppy contains.

But neither this is guaranteed to work. (IIRC, it did work for me with installers created by "StuffIt Installer Maker".)
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

I can confirm Ronald´s advice working in SheepShaver MacOS 8.6.
It is also possible to mount the disk images as demanded in MiniVMac II, but copying to one folder is easier.

If you prefer to copy the disk images to your emulated Mac´s HDD, (instead of mounting via Volumes)
keep in mind that DiskCopy 4.2 images won´t mount by double click in many MacOS.
Drag the disk images in question onto the open DiskCopy 6 window instead.