Applications are now Documents and won't run

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Gidoza
Student Driver

Applications are now Documents and won't run

Post by Gidoza »

Hi there,

So I got SheepShaver running (I'm using Windows 10) and had my old Mac OS 9 files sitting in my Windows computer. I conveniently popped them over to the SheepShaver OS to run them and...

...they won't work. Every file demands that "the application that created it" be around and recognizes all my applications as documents instead. This seems to be a universal problem.

How do I make SheepShaver "see" my Applications as Applications again?

Thanks,
-Gidoza
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Applications are now Documents and won't run

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Did you have your classic Mac files saved on your Windows computer unprotected, not archived or encoded in for instance .sit or .hqx format? Then the files will have lost their Mac-specific properties like resource forks and type/creator codes. Probably damaged beyond repair. Without special precautions, classic Mac files will not survive on a non-Mac file system.
Gidoza
Student Driver

Post by Gidoza »

Indeed I did - thankfully, I still have my Mac OS 9 computer with me so I dug it up from the shed. All good now!

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:01 pm Did you have your classic Mac files saved on your Windows computer unprotected, not archived or encoded in for instance .sit or .hqx format? Then the files will have lost their Mac-specific properties like resource forks and type/creator codes. Probably damaged beyond repair. Without special precautions, classic Mac files will not survive on a non-Mac file system.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

If you create disk images on your old Mac, you can copy files into them and load the disk images natively in SheepShaver as virtual drives.