Install Issues on Mac 10.14

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

lisebakker
Space Cadet

Install Issues on Mac 10.14

Post by lisebakker »

Hi Emaculation Team,

I'm attempting to install Sheepshaver in order to run some old games. I think so far I have done everything right but I'm held up at what seems to be an unusual stage in the proceedings.

I'm running Mac 10.14.4 Mojave. I downloaded the Redundant Robot new age ROM and Mac OS 9 Boot Image, and followed the installation instructions - I successfully booted Sheepshaver past the grey question mark.

The next stage in the manual says I need to double-click on the Mac OS Install to install the operating system but for the life of me I can't find this anywhere. I have the OS9 disk image, the MacOS9HD volume, and the Unix folder, but nothing else on my desktop.

Am I just being blind and I can't see it? I'm really un-tech-savvy (I had to google the difference between a ROM and a disk image and I still don't think I understand!)
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Install Issues on Mac 10.14

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

You are not blind. :wink:
The MacOS9 image you downloaded does not contain a Mac OS installer. It contains a (limited) pre-installed system, System Folder only. Better remove it and use a Mac OS install disk image instead. You can find one on the Macintosh Garden site as described in our setup manual:
A retail international English Mac OS 9.0.4 install CD image can be downloaded from the Macintosh Garden site. On that site search for “Mac OS 9.0.4” and on the Mac OS 9.0.4 page look for the file “MacOS904CD_Intl.ZIP”.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
lisebakker
Space Cadet

Re: Install Issues on Mac 10.14

Post by lisebakker »

Great, thank you so much! Fixed the problem :)