Will SheepShaver be Catalina compatible ?

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

rlesperance
Mac Mechanic

Post by rlesperance »

Thanks for being there for us all !

adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Will SheepShaver be Catalina compatible ?

Post by adespoton »

The answer so far appears to be yes. There are some security framework issues that are being sorted out, but it runs, and we've got a number of people on here with developer accounts who can sign (and notarize) both SheepShaver and Basilisk II.

That said, I'm looking forward to the improvements that will be coming to QEMU over the next year. Between the two, we cover almost all PPC Mac operating systems!
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Sheepshaver can’t be notarized. Probably BIIl likewise. See another thread about this.
rlesperance
Mac Mechanic

Post by rlesperance »

What does «SheepShavers can’t be notarized» mean ?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

In recent OS versions, Apple includes a notarization function in the signing services it uses -- you can think of it as countersigning a file to add reputation.

But because of some of the things SheepShaver code does, the code can't be notarized, as it can't be considered "safe" due to the unsafe things it does with memory.

For Catalina though, this won't be a problem -- Catalina will still run signed software that isn't notarized. It's possible that some future OS version will not, however.
rlesperance
Mac Mechanic

Post by rlesperance »

Thank you for clearing that ...

I feel so grateful to you developers and software ressources that help maintain this fruitful ressource for all of us. Since new software are complicated and tedious, I use it only to run an old Bedford's Simple Accounting software.

I am so curious to know how many ±users still rely on SheepShaver or OS 9 on a regular basis ... and what it is mainly for ?