A blast from the past

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

24bit
Forum All-Star

A blast from the past

Post by 24bit »

I recently got a Toshiba Portégé 7010CT donated and installed Windows 98SE and Windows 2000 with the help of a LAN/DVD dock.
Fusion PC is running in W98, same for an old stereogram app.
Do you recall those pictures, btw?

For W2K, is it possible at all to run SheepShaver with such a low end laptop?
I tried the "recommended" packages, but the GUI won´t start because of some wrong paths.
Is it an easy fix or just not worth the hassle?

Cat_7
Expert User

Re: A blast from the past

Post by Cat_7 »

Talking about a blast from the past: I just discovered some Beatles albums were remixed in 2018/2019 (again after 2009). Stuck to the headset right now. Time to get out my wallet for some better quality compared to mediocre youtube....

About the GTK issue: this is often caused by a previous installation, as a clean installation would set these paths correctly.
On my W10 machine they are set as follows:

GTK_BASEPATH C:\GTK

INCLUDE C:\GTK\INCLUDE;C:\GTK\INCLUDE\GTK-2.0;C:\GTK\INCLUDE\GLIB-2.0;C:\GTK\INCLUDE\PANGO-1.0;C:\GTK\INCLUDE\CAIRO;C:\GTK\INCLUDE\ATK-1.0;C:\GTK\INCLUDE\GTKGLEXT-1.0;C:\GTK\LIB\GTK-2.0\INCLUDE;C:\GTK\LIB\GLIB-2.0\INCLUDE;C:\GTK\LIB\GTKGLEXT-1.0\INCLUDE;C:\GTK\INCLUDE\LIBGLADE-2.0;C:\GTK\INCLUDE\LIBXML2;C:\GTK\INCLUDE;C:\GTK\INCLUDE\GTK-2.0;C:\GTK\INCLUDE\GLIB-2.0;C:\GTK\INCLUDE\PANGO-1.0;C:\GTK\INCLUDE\CAIRO;C:\GTK\INCLUDE\ATK-1.0;C:\GTK\INCLUDE\GTKGLEXT-1.0;C:\GTK\LIB\GTK-2.0\INCLUDE;C:\GTK\LIB\GLIB-2.0\INCLUDE;C:\GTK\LIB\GTKGLEXT-1.0\INCLUDE;C:\GTK\INCLUDE\LIBGLADE-2.0;C:\GTK\INCLUDE\LIBXML2;

PATH C:\GTK\bin; .... rest of path.

Best,
Cat_7
24bit
Forum All-Star

Re: A blast from the past

Post by 24bit »

Remix, hm.
If somebody still has the 50 years old Studer tapes and the machine to play the master tapes,
it will be promising to digitize the old stuff another time with today´s techniques.
Merely blowing it up again from standard material which is already there is a waste of money IMHO, the marketing guys may tell the contrary. ;)

My W2K Toshiba oldie does run your "always start…" SheepShaver package all right after adding a prefs file for SheepShaver.
The GUI refuses to work and I can´t seem to find the requested LibGlib....dll anywhere.
Could it be the GTK package is just too new for W2K?
I may try XP on the 7010CT once I got another hard disk to play around with.
Maybe that will give a clue what went wrong with W2K.