Catalina update

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

rlesperance
Mac Mechanic

Catalina update

Post by rlesperance »

Hi ... I read that Catalina has issues with specific Mac OS computers ? I have an iMac 27" (late 2013). Is there an update on Catalina's compatibility with SheepSaver ? Is it safe to update to Catalina or should I wait for a later build ?
24bit
Forum All-Star

Re: Catalina update

Post by 24bit »

I tried 15.0.32 from AppStore with a MBP 8,1 HackBook and did not encounter issues.
Its a known fact that 32bit apps won´t work anymore, including Basilisk GUI and the standalone SheepShaver GUI.
For me Catalina feels as usable as Mojave, though there will be no "must have" new features for "dated" hardware. ;)
On my side AppStore is offering version 15.0.33 now, I may give it another go the next days.

If you have to edit the hidden Basilik II / SheepShaver prefs files manually, I found this helpful:
https://nektony.com/products/funter
If you don´t like Terminal, that is.
rlesperance
Mac Mechanic

Post by rlesperance »

Thanks. How would I know if my iMac 27" (late 2013) is clear for Catalina ?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

According to info from Apple, your iMac is compatible with Catalina: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210222

I usually wait at least 6 months after a new macOS version is made available. I see no compelling reason to upgrade from Mojave to Catalina sooner.

The latest SheepShaver and BasiliskII builds I posted here will run in Catalina (both 64-bit and notarized).

BasiliskIIGUi is 32-bit and will not run in Catalina. Our member munkymajic is working on a new BasiliskIIGUi. I expect a first public beta to be available soon.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rlesperance
Mac Mechanic

Post by rlesperance »

Thanks Ronald ... Six (6) months ? Wow that is long before enjoying a new software update. I'll try to be that patient.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Well, it depends on how anxious you are to be able to use some new features. Running a new macOS is not always a joy. Early versions are often plagued by bugs. Catalina is no exception.
rlesperance
Mac Mechanic

Post by rlesperance »

While I cannot agree more, I have never been doing that. I am resisting with Catalina, for I don't know the reason. Time will tell if Catalina is an exception, for me at least.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Installing 10.15 onto an external FW or USB3 drive may be an option for the curious but late adopters.
Still have a working Sierra instance on a 128GB SSD. ;)
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

For me, as long as VirtualBox supports the previous OS version, I'm happy :) Any software that won't run on Catalina just goes into the VM. Of course, starting with Mojave, VirtualBox becomes trickier to install, due to VB not having native APFS support.

I held off on Catalina until I started needing to do some serious testing of compile systems; running XCode in a VM is a real pain when doing things in volume.
rlesperance
Mac Mechanic

Post by rlesperance »

Good morning ... I just realized that my SheepShaverPrefs app was not 64 bit. Is that app still useful with Catalina ?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

The stand-alone SheepShaverPrefs app will not run in Catalina.
The latest SheepShaver build I posted does run in Catalina and so does the built-in prefs editor.

Your SheepShaverPrefs app is not used much anymore. Some seem to use it still, but I myself have not used it in years. It is not needed at setup (a rom file named "Mac OS ROM" will be recognized) and since the availability of the full-screen mode toggle it is also not needed anymore to access the prefs editor when SheepShaver is launched in full-screen mode.

It could be useful, though, in rare situations where the built-in prefs editor cannot be used because SheepShaver crashes before it is available.

The code for a 64-bit prefs editor must be available in the current SheepShaver source code. I do not know if it can be compiled as a separate application.
rlesperance
Mac Mechanic

Post by rlesperance »

Thanks a lot Ronald for your precious comments.
MetalSnake
Granny Smith

Post by MetalSnake »

24bit wrote:If you have to edit the hidden Basilik II / SheepShaver prefs files manually, I found this helpful:
https://nektony.com/products/funter
If you don´t like Terminal, that is.
From what I see on that website it's a tool to show/hide invisible files? You can do that in Finder by pressing cmd+shift+. (dot)
rlesperance
Mac Mechanic

Post by rlesperance »

Thanks.
Gandulf78
Space Cadet

Post by Gandulf78 »

Hi.
Since I made the Catalina update last weekend, with Sheepshaver installed in V2.5, Sheepshave is not working anymore on my iMac.
When I launch the application, I got a black screen with the rainbow wheel turning endlessly. I presume I may need to set some security preferences to make it working but I have no clue of what to do to fix that. I didn't find the answer on the forum either. Does anybody know what to do ?
Thank you.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

SheepShaver is probably set to launch in full-screen mode. The issue is discussed in this topic: https://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewt ... 20&t=10392

SheepShaver will start normally in window mode and after that the control-return full-screen toggle will work as expected. To set SheepShaver to be launched in window mode, you will need to edit the prefs file manually in TextEdit as described here: https://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewt ... =25#p64506

You can also try the workaround described here: https://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewt ... =25#p64469:
Gandulf78
Space Cadet

Post by Gandulf78 »

Thank you. I followed your procedure to go to the window display mode and it is now working.
rlesperance
Mac Mechanic

Post by rlesperance »

Thanks again Ronald. Your help is invaluable.