Unix folder has disappeared...

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

garyj
Inquisitive Elf

Unix folder has disappeared...

Post by garyj »

Hi ~ I've been using SS 2.4 successfully for years. I've been using it on a MacBook Pro (6,2 Mid-2010) that originally came with OSX 10.6.8 Snow Leopard installed. I've recently installed a 2Tb Solid State Drive on a MacBook Pro (8,2 2011) that originally ran OSX 7 Lion.
I've copied my entire HD from the older Mac to the new one. SheepShaver nows runs extremely fast on this computer! All of my ancient OS9 programs are quick and highly usable. (The only minor problem I've seen so far is that I can't boot from my original OSX 10.6 disk.)

But my real problem is, my Unix folder seems to have disappeared from ShSh's desktop. I've searched everywhere in every folder for it. I would like to transfer files I've created in OS9 to my OSX ShSh shared folder but... no Unix folder.

Many thanks in advance for any advice!
24bit
Forum All-Star

Re: Unix folder has disappeared...

Post by 24bit »

As you copied over all your software, the path to the Unix folder most certainly changed.
Did you already adopt that setting to the new location?

If you still want to use Snow Leopard, a virtual machine is nice to have.
I´m using Leopard Server 10.5 occasionally in VMWare.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Just create a new shared folder on the host and choose that folder for 'Unix Root' in SheepShaver preferences (or in SheepShaverGUI) and save the change. The next time you launch SheepShaver, the Unix volume will appear in SheepShaver.

Which SheepShaver 2.4 build (build date, not version number) do you use?
garyj
Inquisitive Elf

Post by garyj »

Well, that was easy! :lol: Thank you, Ronald.

I'm on Build No. 20140201
garyj
Inquisitive Elf

Post by garyj »

Ronald, would you recommend that I upgrade to a more recent version of SheepShaver?
I'm on version 2.4, Build No. 20140201.

Would it be a worthwhile thing to do, and would it be easy..? (For me, that is...:)

My current version IS slightly buggy, at times. (But work-around-able.)

THANKS!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Depends on the host OS. Exactly which MacOSX/OSX version are you running? (It is not clear from the information you gave above.)
garyj
Inquisitive Elf

Post by garyj »

Oh, sorry.
I am using MacOS 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard). (I'm using OS 9 on the SheepShaver side.)
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

See the 'SheepShaver builds for Mac OS X, links and downloads' topic at the top of the SheepShaver forum.

You can use the version 2.4, 9 July 2018 build. It has a couple of improvements compared with the build you are using:
- Disk images can be specified in preferences to be mounted as CD-ROM
- Workaround to correct false colors after hiding or minimizing SheepShaver window
- Improved behaviour of window/full-screen toggle (Ctrl-Return)

Simply replace only the SheepShaver application itself with the new one.
garyj
Inquisitive Elf

Post by garyj »

Thanks again, Ronald! Issues # 2 & 3 that you mentioned were the only small gripes I had...

A fine birthday present for me! :lol:
garyj
Inquisitive Elf

Post by garyj »

??? re: issue #3 ~ I updated to version 2.4, 9 July 2018 build, per your suggestion. Now, when I click control+delete ShSh crashes. Please advise.

I actually am starting up with full screen by default. Would you please remind me how to revert back to standard screen?

I see on the Forum - ShSh updates page that ShSh can now run on my Mojave machine. WOW! I'll be studying about that! Any preliminary advice I'd need to know before transferring all of my OS9 apps, etc. over to my Mojave MacBook Pro? –Or, is everything explained in the forum documents, which I haven't looked at, yet..?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

garyj wrote:Now, when I click control+delete ShSh crashes.
Why would you click control-delete?
I actually am starting up with full screen by default. Would you please remind me how to revert back to standard screen?
You can use control-return to switch to window mode. Then you can access SheepShaver preferences and set to use window mode at startup.
I see on the Forum - ShSh updates page that ShSh can now run on my Mojave machine. WOW! I'll be studying about that! Any preliminary advice I'd need to know before transferring all of my OS9 apps, etc. over to my Mojave MacBook Pro? –Or, is everything explained in the forum documents, which I haven't looked at, yet..?
SheepShaver now also runs in Catalina. The setup guide gives all necessary information. If you transfer SheepShaver to your Mojave machine, you will need to create a new setup. You can copy the disk image files over to the new machine, so all your OS9 apps and everything you did in SheepShaver will be there.