Booting and Installing Problem

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

shubhi
Space Cadet

Booting and Installing Problem

Post by shubhi »

Hi all, I'm trying to get my old Infini-D files from 1998 back and found that I need to download an emulator like SheepShaver. I have a Mac OS X 10.6.8 and I have followed all the set up instructions from the guide. I dont know how to get a physical CD ROM so I downloaded a Disk Image as the guide suggested. I downloaded the New and Old ROM from the website given on the guide. I have also filled in the preferences into SheepShaver as prescribed and quit SheepShaver. It's when I've reached the "Booting SheepShaver and installing the system" step, SheepShaver is not launching. It is showing the previous grey screen. I have attached a link to an image of my current screen. What do I do?

[img]
sheepshaverbootingproblem.blogspot.com[/img]
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Booting and Installing Problem

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

You apparently did not link to the image itself, so the image does not display.
SheepShaver is not launching. It is showing the previous grey screen.
Do you mean that SheepShaver does start, but that you still see the the screen with blinking question mark?

That could be caused by:
- Either the CD image file you use cannot be used by SheepShaver as startup disk. (Which disk image do you use and where did you get it?)
- Or you did not correctly add the CD mage file to the volumes list in SheepShaver preferences.
- Or you have the CD image mounted on the OSX 10.6.8 host when you start SheepShaver. (SheepShaver cannot use disk image files while they are mounted on the host.)

Best show us the content of your prefs file:
Launch Terminal (in /Application/Utilities/) and type at the prompt

Code: Select all

open ~/.sheepshaver_prefs
followed by a return.
The file will open in your default text editor. Select all content and copy and paste it here in your reply.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Re: Booting and Installing Problem

Post by 24bit »

Which version of Infini-D do you plan to run with SheepShaver, shubhi?
Version 2.5.2 from Macintoshgarden is 68k coded and complains about a missing FPU.
https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/infini ... phics-tool

Usually 68k apps do run well with SheepShaver, maybe some software FPU would help too.

Basilisk II does run version 2.5.2 on my side with MacOS 7.5.3.

A bootable disk image for emulators is hosted here:
https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/macos-753-emulators

Infini-D 4.5 works fine with SheepShaver, BTW.