FileSharing

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

ThomasR
Space Cadet

FileSharing

Post by ThomasR »

Hey, I am crazy new to Mac OS 9 and SheepShaver.

I am currently trying to get some files transferred from the Desktop to the main System Folder so I can actually open said files.
Currently All of the folders are locked to a specific user...
I have no Idea what I should be entering as the Owner name, Password, and Computer Name.
I didn't have to setup any users upon initial setup so I am a little baffled.

If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: FileSharing

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

1. Do I correctly understand that you have no experience with classic Mac OS?

2. Which is your host system?

3. Did you install Mac OS 9 yourself (as described in our setup guide) or do you use an (incomplete) pre-installed system like the one you can find on Redundant Robot.

4. If you used that OS9 image from Redundant Robot, did you erroneously lock that image or treat it as CD-ROM? (Those instructions are for installation CD images, not for installed systems.)

5. Exactly from where to where do you want to transfer files and what kind of files are they?
- Do want to transfer files from the SheepShaver desktop to the MacOS9 System Folder?
- What kind of files do you want to transfer?
- How did those files get onto the SheepShaver desktop?
- Why do you want to transfer those files to the System Folder? (That should only be done with files that are specifically intended to be installed into the System Folder.)
ThomasR
Space Cadet

Post by ThomasR »

1) Yes, you are correct I have absolutely no experience with classic Mac OS 9

2) I am Currently running Mac OS X El Capitan

3) I did install Mac OS 9 myself, as described in the setup guide. I found the Redundant Robot rendition totally useless. I did find an os 9.0.4 image that I was able to install Mac OS 9 with after I posted this. Which solved my initial problem to a degree, but more of shifted my focus of my problem from the locked system file to a missing Preferences file. Which I have found a github repo that loosely outlines rules on the subject.

4) I find your use of erroneously mildly condescending, to be frank. As are a large number of your response on this forum, but you do know your shit! No, I did not.

5) I currently have a usb drive that has a collection of Classic Mac files from a different Classic Mac by someone other then myself, which read as locked unix Executables. Which when moved through the shared folder(which descends to the Desktop). I have been trying to get these files to open but the OS can't find the application which created them. I believe this application is Microsoft Works 3.0 which is another locked application on the desktop. I am aware that i can't run applications off the desktop due to a known bug but it's locked as well so I can't seem to move it to somewhere where it'll work.

I do hope this brings some clarity to my situation. I have spent the last three days reading up on SheepShaver to achieve some form of success, so any wisdom you can bestow onto me would be greatly appreciated.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

@5: The USB stick was most likely not HFS(+) formatted.
Chances are high that the files are damaged beyond repair.
If you can, try again, this time with a HFS+ formatted USB stick.
"Naked" classic Mac files must never travel via "foreign" file systems like Unix, Windows, DOS…
In some cases it may be possible to restore the file´s missing resource fork, when the creating app and file type is known.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

ThomasR wrote: 4) I find your use of erroneously mildly condescending, to be frank.
"Erroneously" is merely a statement of fact about a common error. It isn't condescending at all.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

5) I currently have a usb drive that has a collection of Classic Mac files from a different Classic Mac by someone other then myself, which read as locked unix Executables. Which when moved through the shared folder(which descends to the Desktop). I have been trying to get these files to open but the OS can't find the application which created them. I believe this application is Microsoft Works 3.0 which is another locked application on the desktop. I am aware that i can't run applications off the desktop due to a known bug but it's locked as well so I can't seem to move it to somewhere where it'll work.
What is the current path of your shared folder on your host system?

It sounds like your current situation is (correct me if any of this is wrong -- unlike Ronald, I actually slip into condescending language from time to time, but not intentionally):

You have a USB drive that contains a bunch of data forks of files copied from a classic Mac. On your host system (running El Cap), these appear as locked Unix executables.

If this drive is formatted FAT or EXFAT (or anything other than HFS+ really), you've lost all the resource forks and Finder Info metadata. This is not recoverable. The files on the drive that only had info in the Data fork, however, may be recoverable.

You have set up SheepShaver with a shared folder. Where on your host system is the shared folder pointing? It should be somewhere on the root drive, and you copy the files from the USB drive to this location prior to starting SheepShaver.

Once you've started SheepShaver, you can open the Unix "disk" and drag the files onto the OS 9 boot volume disk or a folder inside it. If you just drag them to the OS 9 desktop, they're still in the Desktop folder inside the host shared folder and did not get copied to anywhere useful.

Once those files are copied to the OS 9 boot drive, you'll still have problems opening them, as they've lost their file type and creator. You will need to add these back using a tool like ResEdit, ABetterFinderInfo, FixFileT&C, or similar.

Applications copied over from your USB drive will not work, as you don't have the resource fork, which contains the executable code. However, you can download replacements for those properly enclosed in Stuffit archives or disk images from places like the Macintosh Garden.

So... having said all this, if you're just trying to open MS Works 3.0 documents, you might be able to do so on El Cap using LibreOffice. Not guaranteed though; I can't recall what formats of Works it can import. It CAN import ClarisWorks/AppleWorks documents.

Files that are locked can be copied even if they can't be moved. If you can't copy them, you've got a file permission issue (the files belong to a user other than you). This should be overrideable for external USB devices from Terminal.app by doing sudo cp <file> <destination>. Getting info on the files and changing their owner may also help.
ThomasR
Space Cadet

Post by ThomasR »

Thank you guys so much for your help with all this. I apologize for being irritable about clear and concise language.

I was trying to replicate an existing Mac OS9 which I ended getting my hands on. Which I then cloned, and was able to spin up the OS without any hard disk issues.

Adespoton, and 24bit that was super informative!

Ronald thank you for you initial help, I apologize for my response being aggressive!

Emendelson, it was more me being irritable and having the fourth point being "have you done it wrong" in fancy/smart language came across as condescending.

So now that the responses are out of the way! New problem! In the process of trying to get these files to work I needed to downgrade my host OS to Mavericks from El Capitan. It went smoothly but now that I have transferred over my SheepShaver Application I am running into an error message of "This Startup disk will not work on this Macintosh model. Use the latest installer to update this disk for this model"...

I haven't changed anything...

The preferences have been setup the same as before.

The Rom file is the same(I'm guessing this could be it).

The Disk Image worked before I did the downgrade. Which could mean some sort of file corruption in the transfer process.

I'm a little at a loss. Any suggestions or Thoughts?
ThomasR
Space Cadet

Post by ThomasR »

I'm guessing I have the wrong version....

Ronald, thank you for the download links.

Gonna try that and see what happens.
ThomasR
Space Cadet

Post by ThomasR »

Nope. Didn't work.

Re-did initial setup. Re-download my .img, re-downloaded the SheepShaver folder, re-did the ROM. Got the Keycodes again. Re-downloaded the application for my OS. Sometimes it'll kick me into the startup screen and give me the error about my disk being quite right but that's a rare sometimes.
ThomasR
Space Cadet

Post by ThomasR »

Kay SheepShaver does not want to work with Mavericks.
ThomasR
Space Cadet

Post by ThomasR »

Holy Moley....

Just managed to spin it into the cloned Disk image.

So I'm guessing that the initial volume I had setup was still configured for my El Capitan distro which was giving me grief. After clearing EVERYTHING out of the folder I was using to keep things neat and removing all off the applications internal preferences. I used a fresh OS9 installer image to re-install onto the initial set up volume. Then I added the Cloned OS back into the preferences and removed the installer image. then BAM we have lift off!

Again I apologize for my earlier post Ronald! Thank you everyone who contributed info on this thread. Hopefully you won't have to hear from me again, no promises ;)