Cursor too small in SheepShaver 2.5

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

davidshermantax
Tinkerer

Cursor too small in SheepShaver 2.5

Post by davidshermantax »

I've been using SheepShaver for over 10 years for my work, to run HyperCard and other OS 9 apps (thanks so much, you guys who maintain it!), and just upgraded from a 3-year-old MacBook Pro running OS X 10.13 to a new MacBookPro running 10.15. I downloaded the newest (2020) SheepShaver 2.5 and it runs great on the new laptop, except that the cursor is tiny. I don't recall what I did many years ago to make the cursor large.

When I look in the online manual on Emaculation, there's reference to a "hardware cursor" and adding a line to the "preferences" file, but I can't find a preferences file in the SheepShaver folder I run; nor anything in the SheepShaver Preferences three tabs that identifies a file for preferences. What am I missing? How do I make the cursor larger?

Thanks very much.

David Sherman
Toronto
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Cursor too small in SheepShaver 2.5

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

The prefs file is a file .sheepshaver_prefs in your Home folder, as pointed out in the advanced feature section in the setup manual: https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sh ... uilds_only
The file is hidden in the Finder (note the leading dot).

You can open the file in TextEdit and edit it there:
In the Finder, open your Home folder.
Hit command-shift-. (command-shift-dot). Hidden files will become visible.
Find the file .sheepshaver_prefs and double click it. The file will open in TextEdit.
You can edit the file in TextEdit and save the changes.
Again hit command-shift-. to make the 'hidden' files invisible again.
davidshermantax
Tinkerer

Thanks very much. My apologies: I thought I had looked for "preferences" in the manual but evidently I had searched incorrectly.

"hardcursor true" in the SheepShaver prefs file fixes the problem.
davidshermantax
Tinkerer

I'm also delighted to see that copy/paste (the clipboard) now works in the newest SheepShaver. Thanks guys!!! I do this all the time in my writing (picking up new text to paste into files I'm working on in Word 4 or HyperCard), and this saves me from constantly having to save a text file from OS X that I then open on SheepShaver.

David M. Sherman, LLB, LLM