15 Mar Update Quits

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

RealActorRob
Space Cadet

15 Mar Update Quits

Post by RealActorRob »

I have a fresh install, fresh ROM extract.

Old Version 2.5 (2.5.2019.05.04) Launches to a '?' (so far so good).

15 March Build Instantly quits. No errors no nothing.

I am on High Sierra.

I am using the same folder, only change is the corresponding keycode file and the app.

Kinda think 15 Mar might still have a problem.

I did notice the links in the top post were slightly different. Correct file linked?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: 15 Mar Update Quits

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

The links are correct. *

Did you move the SheepShaver application from the "SheepShaver_notarized_20200315" folder to your existing SheepShaver folder?

* In the past I kept the downloads on my personal website. More recent downloads are now on emaculation.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

I think that the fact that I combined the SheepShaver application and the keycodes file in one download triggers a security feature in macOS Sierra and later. I now made it two separate downloads.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Do we need to create an xattr shell scripit that scrapes the execution locks off everything? Would that fix this issue? I'm suspecting that the problem lies with the keycodes file being marked as downloaded and not executable, and the way it is loaded is somehow interpreted as "executable" by the OS.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

I don't think so. This issue started recently after I put both files in the same download. Before they were in separate downloads. I now separated them again in separate downloads.

Edit: Before, I used to offer SheepShaver for download inside the SheepShaver folder with other files, among which the keycodes file. The problem started then with Sierra. It appeared to be a new security feature in Sierra. I then offered the SheepShaver folder and SheepShaver itself as separate downloads, which solved the issue. Because there were changes in the keycodes file, I offered the new keycodes file with SheepShaver in one download. The issue re-appeared.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: