Booting and installing the system

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Seki10e
Space Cadet

Booting and installing the system

Post by Seki10e »

Hi! I am very, very new to all of this so, I may have missed a simple step. I read through the guide and have been searching through the forum, but I am still having trouble.

I have MacBook Pro Catalina 10.15.

From Redundant Robot, I downloaded the ROM and disk image:
New World PPC ROM
Mac OS 9 Boot Image

I get through this step and I can see the icons:
Finally, you will see the desktop with icons for the startup volume (the CD image or the CD), for the new volume that you will install the system onto, and for the “Unix” volume that gives access to the shared folder on the OSX/macOS side.

This is the step I am stuck on:
Proceed with the system installation by starting (double-clicking) the installer “Mac OS Install”.

When I open up the disk image icon there's a "System Folder" and things seem to work.

The only other issue I am having is that I have game - Bonkheads from Macintosh Garden - and I moved the folder out of the Unix volume to the hard drive and when the game opens it says that I have and error.
"You must have Sound Manager 3.0 or higher to run Bonkheads"

Did I do something wrong in the setup? Do I need to add something? Thanks for your help!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Booting and installing the system

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Seki10e wrote:This is the step I am stuck on:
Proceed with the system installation by starting (double-clicking) the installer “Mac OS Install”.
You used the OS9 boot disk image from Redundant Robot, not a Mac OS install CD image. The OS9 boot image is just that, it does not contain a full MacOS installation and it is also too small for additional installations.

Our setup guide tells you:
A retail international English Mac OS 9.0.4 install CD image can be downloaded from the Macintosh Garden site. On that site search for “Mac OS 9.0.4” and on the Mac OS 9.0.4 page look for the file “MacOS904CD_Intl.ZIP”.
Sound Manager 3.6.4 is part of a full MacOS 9.0.4 installation.
Seki10e
Space Cadet

Re: Booting and installing the system

Post by Seki10e »

That makes sense.

Thank you so much - it fixed both of my issues!