SheepShaver won't start on linux - 'Structure needs cleaning

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Punio
Space Cadet

SheepShaver won't start on linux - 'Structure needs cleaning

Post by Punio »

Hello there,
I'm trying to now use SheepShaver on Arch Linux after switching from Windows. However, unlike Windows, I can't actually start the emulator - I get an error stating 'Cound not start SheepShaver (Structure needs cleaning)', and nothing else. Searching on Google seems to refer to a generic Linux error, which I have so far only seen with this program. Any ideas on how I could get a machine up and running?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: SheepShaver won't start on linux - 'Structure needs clea

Post by adespoton »

Which source/build of SheepShaver is Arch giving you? I'm guessing it's building directly off the Cebix repository?

That's going to have some issues on a modern OS, especially around memory allocation and graphics compositing. You'll want to build off the newer SDL2 fork, and even there you may find some unmet dependencies in Arch.
Punio
Space Cadet

Post by Punio »

I’m using the version off of the AUR. Still being fairly new to Arch, I’m not sure where to find this SDL2 fork.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

The SDL2 fork source is here: https://github.com/kanjitalk755/macemu

But you'll need to compile/build SheepShaver yourself.
(We have only macOS and Windows builds available in the forum here.)
rakslice
Student Driver

Post by rakslice »

I recently ran into this 'Structure needs cleaning' error while testing SheepShaver in Arch; after the first time it happened, SheepShaver would immediately fail on boot.

I eventually figured out by the process of elimination that the problem was on the extfs volume ("Unix" drive). I deleted its "Desktop" file and "Desktop Folder" on the host, and after that the error went away.